ESSENTIAL SKILLS FOR SUPERVISORS - Spring 2022
Be the leader you were meant to be!
THE ROLE OF MANAGEMENT, LEADERSHIP, AND COACHING
Many Supervisors in the workplace today have never received any formal supervisory training for their role. They may have been a great employee, which is usually the reason why they were promoted, but moving from managing yourself to supervising other people can be an incredible leap. This workshop is designed for both new and experienced Supervisors who wish to move beyond basic management skills and develop strong abilities to better lead their teams and shape their corporate culture.
This workshop links theory to practice with hands-on, action-based essential skills focused on:
- Differentiation of roles;
- Developing consistent attitudes with flexible strategies;
- A CLEAR coaching model;
- Leadership Styles;
- Leadership and Coaching Self-Assessment; and
- The language of leadership.
EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION FOR SUPERVISORS
Supervisors of all levels within an organization need to be able to communicate effectively with employees, colleagues, and upper management. By improving communication skills, Supervisors can improve the flow of information, enhance teamwork, promote accountability, reduce errors, ramp up productivity, and provide greater consistency with fewer errors. Ultimately, effective communication improves the bottom line and facilitates growth.
Effective Communication for Supervisors workshop helps supervisors build strong communication skills and helps them promote the development of these skills among their employees. Participants will:
- Understand the benefits of effective workplace communication;
- Learn effective communication techniques – both verbal and non-verbal;
- Explore the effect of body language on relationships and trust;
- Recognize obstacles to effective communication;
- How to deal with Challenging Personalities; and
- Apply effective communications for difficult conversations.
RESOLVING CONFLICTS AND DIFFICULT SITUATIONS
Challenging situations are a fact of life in any workplace. These situations arise for a variety of reasons including our own or other people’s behaviours, conflicts of interest, personality clashes, errors, and a variety of unexpected circumstances. If managed well, they can have a powerful and positive effect. But if managed poorly, or ignored, they can be disastrous for business as conflicts negatively affect staff morale, efficiency, and commitment. In this highly interactive workshop geared specifically for Supervisors, participants will not only learn effective strategies to resolve conflicts and difficult situations with sensitivity and respect, but they will also participate in active role-playing to hone their skills.
In this highly interactive workshop geared specifically for Supervisors, participants will not only learn effective strategies to resolve conflicts and difficult situations with sensitivity and respect, but they will also participate in active role-playing to hone their skills. During the workshop, participants will explore:
- The Opportunity of Conflict;
- Elements of effective communication during a conflict;
- ‘Response-ability’, or your ability to respond;
- Effective strategies for different circumstances;
- Breakthrough communication, the ‘Trust Effect’ and gaining resolution;
- Courageous Conversations; and
- Applying different strategies to handle difficult situations.
DECISION MAKING, CRITICAL THINKING & CREATIVITY
Supervisors with critical thinking skills can understand the logical connections between ideas, identify inconsistencies or mistakes in reasoning, and make effective decisions. Leaders that can develop these skills can also guide their people in creative problem solving, thereby improving productivity, and realizing potential opportunities for sales, service, and organizational growth. People and organizations that understand and use critical and creative thinking methods can deal with complex situations, make better and faster decisions, create a more collaborative team environment, plan, manage and implement solutions more thoroughly and effectively, and generate innovative ideas to effectively manage costs and grow the business. Participants in this workshop will sharpen their ability to unpack problems and opportunities and make well-informed decisions using their own real-world challenges.
This workshop will help participants:
- Explore concepts and skills for critical thinking and solution-oriented problem solving;
- Fine-tune team decision making to multiply potential options;
- Use proven frameworks to customize their situational problem-solving approach;
- Coach their employees to bring them ideas, rather than problems;
- Increase their chances of success when offering recommendations; and
- Promote a culture focused on innovation and growth.
Cost: $199 plus applicable taxes for each session or $699 plus applicable taxes for a 4-session package.
Time: 3 hours: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Dates: To be announced
Course: Essential Skills for Supervisors
- The Role of Management, Leadership, and Coaching
Date T.B.A. – CRN #
- Effective Communication for Supervisors
Date T.B.A. – CRN #
- Resolving Conflicts and Difficult Situations
Date T.B.A. – CRN #
- Decision Making, Critical Thinking, and Creativity
Date T.B.A. – CRN #
Here’s how to Register:
Ask to register for Essential Skills for Supervisors and quote the CRN above.
Once you register, you will receive further information about the online payment methods.
All participants receive a certificate of completion for each course taken.
Please note: We reserve the right to cancel any course due to insufficient registration.
Continuing Education Courses
Course registration is on a first come, first-serve basis. If the class is full, please ask to be placed on the wait list.