Academic Probation FAQ


If your cumulative grade point average (CGPA) falls below 1.50 then you will be placed on Academic Probation and notified, by the College in writing of your probationary status via email.  

CGPA is calculated based on the total number of credits attempted at Douglas College. For repeated courses, the highest grade is used in the calculation for the CGPA. Transfer credit grades are not included in Douglas College CGPA.  

You will be restricted from registering into courses and are required to meet with your Student Success Advisor (SSA) by a prescribed date for academic advice. 

  While on probation you are only permitted to take up to a maximum of 9 credits. This restricted course load is to help you maximize your chances of achieving academic success during your probationary period.  

If you would like to request a credit limit increase you must first discuss this with your SSA and formally request it.  

SSAs can provide you with academic advice, course planning and provide resources to support you in your academic journey at Douglas.  

 If you are not sure who your SSA is, please email to find out.  

You must demonstrate academic improvement and achieve a minimum of 1.50 CGPA to pull yourself out of Academic Probation standing.  

Your SSAs can support you with course planning. You might be advised to repeat failed courses given that success in a previously failed course will help you raise your CGPA. This is because an “F” or “UN” grade has a grade point average of 0.00 and is calculated in your CGPA. When you repeat a course, the higher grade you earn will be calculated in your CGPA. However, please keep in mind that both grades are recorded on your transcripts. 

To learn more about the grading system at Douglas College, refer to “Grading Policy”.

You can register for the same course up to a maximum of two times. After this point, you must formally submit a Request to Repeat a Course form. 

 For detailed information on course repeats, refer to the “Course and Status Changes Policy”.

Yes, you can still apply for financial aid while you are on academic probation. However, all financial aid options have different eligibility. Please refer to the Financial Aid information on our website to see if you qualify.  

Please consult with an International Advisor regarding if/how the probationary status might impact your student status.  

 ContactInternational Advisors.  

Many programs have a 2.0 GPA requirement in order to graduate. If your program does not require a certain GPA then you can graduate while on probation. It is your responsibility as a student to be aware of the graduation requirements for your program.   

Contact studentsuccess@douglascollege.caif you have questions regarding your graduation requirements.  

Yes, your Academic Probation standing will be recorded on the transcript. 

A transcript is a detailed record of your academic history. This consists of all the courses you have attempted, grades earned, CGPA along with your academic performance each semester.  

Yes, you can transfer if you meet the admission requirements, including the GPA requirement stated by the other institute. for more information regarding University Transfer.  

If you are unable to raise your CGPA to 1.50 for 3 consecutive semesters, you will be required to meet with the Registrar in order to further discuss your academic plans and standing at Douglas College.   

There are many academic and non-academic support services available at Douglas College to help you work towards achieving academic success. 

You should reach out to your Student Success Advisor to learn more about these services. They can recommend appropriate resources to help you succeed and plan out your academic journey.