Practicums provide students with the opportunity to apply their skills and knowledge in specific child and youth care settings. Practicums are a vital part of the Child and Youth Care program. The CYC program at Douglas College has over 150 connections with organizations and programs throughout the Metro Vancouver area, and beyond.
Benefits of practicums include:
- connect classroom learning with hands-on experience
- gain real-world skills
- try out different settings and specialties
- meeting professionals in your industry
- potential job opportunities post graduation
Where do I take my practicums?
Placements are selected based on your interests and learning needs, subject to available sites. Examples of types of placements include:
- group homes
- transition houses
- community centres
- programs for street-involved youth
- government offices
- addictions services
Check out our CYC Practicum Profile Information Booklet
How long are practicums?
- Practicum CYCC 1240 and CYCC 2440, 150 hours each
- full-time over a 5 week period during the winter term of year 1 and year 2
- part-time students 12 - 15 hours a week over the course of term
Resources for CYC Practicum Supervisors
- CYC Practicum Supervisor Orientation Video Series
- CYC Practicum Supervisor Orientation Video Series Recommended Resources