Practicums provide students with the opportunity to apply their skills and knowledge in specific child and youth care settings. Practicums are a vital part of the Child and Youth Care program.
Benefits of practicums include:
- connect classroom learning with hands-on experience
- gain real-world skills
- try out different settings and specialties
- meeting professionals in your industry
- potential job opportunities post graduation
Where do I take my practicums?
Placements are located across Metro Vancouver. Placements are selected based on your interests and learning needs, subject to available sites. Examples of types of placements include:
- group homes
- transition houses
- community centres
- programs for street-involved youth
- government offices
- addictions services
Check out our CYC Practicum Profile Information Booklet
How long are practicums?
- full-time for a 5 week period.
- 10 hours per week over an 8 month period.
Resources for CYC Practicum Supervisors
- CYC Practicum Supervisor Orientation Video Series
- CYC Practicum Supervisor Orientation Video Series Recommended Resources
- Want to get your Job Postings out to our students, check out this CareerHub Instruction Guide
Information for CYC Practicum Hosts
The CYC program at Douglas College has over 150 connections with organizations and programs throughout the Metro Vancouver area, and beyond. Are you looking to update our program with new contact information? Are you a new program looking to host practicum students? Please contact our program at email@example.com for more information!