Your documented and/or assessed level of English-language proficiency will determine in which of the following courses you will be eligible to enrol:
- English Upgrading (ENGU), or
- English Language Learning and Acquisition (ELLA), or
- other college-level courses, or
- writing-intensive courses (Communications, Creative Writing and English).
See the general admission and language-proficiency requirements for more detail.
New students must:
- take the Douglas College Computer-based English (DCOE) Assessment, or
- take the ENGU or ELLA Assessment, or
- submit proof of their English-language proficiency (eg. English Studies 12 "C" or Equivalent) to the Registrar’s Office along with their applications for general College admission.
|To study:||you must:||and then enrol in:|
|English Language Learning and Acquisition||
Take an ELLA Assessment and meet with an ELLA instructor for placement in the appropriate course(s)
For details, visit the ELLA department.
|English Language Learning and Acquisition (ELLA) course(s)|
Write an ENGU assessment to determine your level of proficiency in written English and meet with an ENGU instructor for placement in the appropriate course(s)
For details, see the ENGU page.
|English Upgrading (ENGU) course(s)|
|College-level courses and writing intensive courses||
Satisfy the language-proficiency requirement by meeting ONE of the following standards:
See the language-proficiency requirements for most up-to-date detail
|College-level courses and courses in academic writing (ENGL 1130), creative writing (CRWR), literature (ENGL), workplace and practical writing (CMNS 1115) or writing skills (CMNS 1099, ENGL 1099)|
Students who attempt to register in courses without satisfying the English-proficiency requirement, or whose documentation has expired, will be deregistered from courses without notice.
Students planning to enrol in their first English, Communications or Creative Writing course must have documentation on file in the Registrar’s Office that verifies they meet the language-proficiency requirement.