All applicants to the College must demonstrate proficiency in English by providing proof of ONE of the following:
High School Grades
- English Studies 12 - minimum final grade "C"
- English First Peoples 12 - minimum final grade "C"
- English 12 - minimum final grade "C" *
- English Literature 12 - minimum grade "C"
- Communications 12 - minimum final grade "B" *
- English 12 First Peoples - minimum final grade "C" *
- Technical and Professional Communications 12 - minimum grade "C" *
- AP English Language or Literature - minimum grade 3
- IB English Language A (SL) - minimum grade 3
* based on both the course and provincial exam grades
- Douglas College English Assessment
- TOEFL iBT - minimum score 83
- IELTS - minimum overall band test score 6.5 (academic module only)
- EIKEN Practical English - minimum placement of Grade 1
- CAEL - minimum overall and essay score of 60 (computer or paper based)
- Cambridge English CAE - minimum score 75 or "B"
- Cambridge English CPE - minimum score 60 or "C"
- Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) Level 8 in each of Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic - minimum score of 56
Douglas College Course Options
- ENGU 0350 and 0360 – Mastery
- ENGU 0355 - Mastery
- ENGU 0356 - Mastery
- ENGU 0390 - Mastery
- ENGU 0450 - minimum grade "P" and 0460 - Mastery
- ENGU 0455 - minimum grade "P"
- ENGU 0480 - minimum grade "P"
- ENGU 0490 - minimum grade "P"
- ELLA 0360 - minimum grade "C"
- ELLA 0460 - minimum grade “P”
- Assessed at ENGU 0455
- Assessed at ENGU 0480
- Assessed at ENGU 0490
- Assessed at ELLA 0460
- Mastery or assessment exemption in any three of the following courses:
- ELLA 0310
- ELLA 0320
- ELLA 0330
- ELLA 0340
Language School Pathway Options
- Completion of the Advanced Level of the University Preparation program at EC English Language Centers (ECAD)
- Completion of Level A2 of the University Pathway program at Int’l Language School of Canada (ILSC)
- Completion of Level 16 (Pathway 3.3) of the Academic pathway program at Int’l Language Academy of Canada (ILAC)
- Completion of highest level course ELS level 112 with ELS Language School
- Completion of VGC International College Advanced University Preparation course level 7 with 75% or higher
- Completion of Kaplan International Centres Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) Level C1
- Global Village English Centres Level 7 - minimum score of C
- Currently enrolled or successful completion in a college-level English, Written Communications, Creative Writing or Literature course from an English speaking post-secondary institution. Note: If the course has been completed, a minimum grade of “P” is required.
- Enrolment in the BC Adult Graduation program including English 12 with a minimum grade of C (provincial exam is optional)
- Undergraduate degree (Bachelor) from an English-speaking post-secondary institution
- GED Language Arts Writing & Reading - minimum score 450
- ABE English course equivalent to ENGU 0355
Students without this level of English-language proficiency are not admissible to College-level courses and programs but can register in Douglas College upgrading courses.
Note: For certain limited-enrolment programs and for certain individual courses, the English-language proficiency requirement may be different (refer to the particular Program section or the Course prerequisite information for further details).
Note: Students who do not meet any of the above requirements may apply for admission as a "special student”. Students are urged to discuss their situation with the Registrar and/or a College counselor.
BC Secondary School Students
BC secondary school students must write provincial exams in any subject where it is mandatory in order to meet graduation requirements. The provincial exam for English 12 (or equivalent) is required for all students except for those who are completing the Adult Graduation program.