Commerce & Business Administration
Date of First Offering
Bachelor of Business Administration - Financial Services
Length of Program
1. General College Admission Requirements
2. Pre-Calculus 11 with a minimum grade of "C" or Foundations of Mathematics 11 with a minimum grade of "C"
- Successful completion of 121.50 credits
- 45 Upper Level (3000-4000) credits required
- A minimum of 70% of upper level credits must be completed at Douglas College
- A minimum program GPA of 2.00 is required to graduate
- 1000-2000 level courses must be University Transferable (courses that transfer to one of the Research Universities - SFU, UBC (UBCV or UBCO), UNBC or UVIC according to the BC Transfer Guide
- Students can also take this program with a cooperative education option
Additional Graduation Requirements with the Co-Operative Education Option:
- Successful completion of 3 Co-Operative work terms (27 credits)
- Students completing the Co-Operative Education option will graduate with 148.5 credits and may require additional terms of study.
|Course Number||Course Title||Credits|
|ACCT 1110*||Principles of Accounting I (see note (1) below)||3.00|
|ACCT 1210*||Principles of Accounting II (see note (1) below)||3.00|
|FINC 1231*||Business Mathematics (see note (2) below)||3.00|
|BUSN 1210||Management Essentials||3.00|
|MARK 1120||Introduction to Marketing||3.00|
|CSIS 1190||Excel for Business||3.00|
|ECON 1150||Principles of Microeconomics||3.00|
|BLAW 1320||Introductory Business law||3.00|
Select two courses from the following three options:
|ENGL 1130||Academic Writing||3.00|
|CMNS 1115||Business Communication||3.00|
|CMNS 1125||Public Speaking||3.00|
|PHIL 1122||Business Ethics (see note (3) below)||3.00|
|ECON 1250||Principles of Macroeconomics||3.00|
|FINC 2300*||Personal Finance I (CFP)||3.00|
|BUSN 2429*||Business Statistics I (see note (4) below)||3.00|
|MARK 2150||Personal Selling||3.00|
Select one of the following two options: (see note (5) below)
|FINC 2340*||Corporate Finance||3.00|
|Introduction to Corporate Finance||3.00|
|ACCT 2320||Introductory Management Accounting||3.00|
|BUSN 3310||Organizational Management Skills (see note (6) below)||3.00|
|FINC 3390*||Security Analysis (CFP) (see note (7) below)||3.00|
|Select three courses from the following options:|
|FINC 3300||Personal Finance II (CFP)||3.00|
|FINC 3305||International Financial Management||3.00|
|FINC 4340||Investment Management Techniques||3.00|
|FINC 4360||Portfolio Management Techniques||3.00|
|Select four courses from the following options:|
|FINC 3370||Financial Markets and Institutions||3.00|
|ACCT 3370||Income Tax I (CFP)||3.00|
|ACCT 3410||Intermediate Accounting II||3.00|
|BUSN 3431||Business Statistics II||3.00|
|MARK 3500||Financial Services Marketing||3.00|
|ACCT 3470||Income Tax II||3.00|
|BLAW 3730||Corporate and Financial Planning Law||3.00|
|FINC 4370||Financial Planning Capstone (CFP)||3.00|
|FINC 4380||Derivatives & Theory & Applications||3.00|
|FINC 4390||Financial Analysis Capstone||3.00|
|BUSN 4275||Business Strategy and Competitive Analysis (see note (8) below)||3.00|
|Open Electives||Eight 1000 - 4000 Level Elective Courses(see note (9) below)||24.00|
|Open Electives||Five 3000 - 4000 Level Elective Courses||15.00|
|BUSN 4500||Career Portfolio Development (see note (10) below)||1.50|
Co-Operative Education Option
|3 Co-Operative work terms (See Note 11)||27.00|
|Total Credits with Co-Operative Education Option||148.5|
- ACCT 1235(Principles of Introductory Financial Accounting I & II) can be taken instead of ACCT 1110 and 1210. A 3-credit open elective course must then be taken to meet the 121.5-credit requirement of the program.
- MATH 1120 may substitute for FINC 1231.
- PHIL 1102 or BUSN 4490 may substitute for PHIL 1122.
- MATH 1160 may substitute for BUSN 2429.
- ECON 2298 may substitute for FINC 2340 or FINC 2345.
- SOSC 2140 may substitute for BUSN 3310.
- The Canadian Securities Course (CSC) may be transferred in and substituted for FINC 3390.
- BUSN 4275 must be taken in the final two semesters.
- Lower level (1000-2000 level) courses must be university transferable.
- BUSN 4500 is a capstone course and requires 500 hours Canadian work experience completed prior. It must be taken in the final two semesters of the degree.
- The co-op work term is a minimum of 420 hours of work and must be taken through Douglas College's Co-op program. The timing of the work term is restricted to the following:
- Can be undertaken only after completion of a minimum of two semesters, 18 credits
- Cannot be taken in the last semester of the program
*A minimum grade of "C" for each course which is a pre-requisite to further courses is required (courses indicated by *).
The courses listed below satisfy the FP Canada™ Core and Advanced Curriculum requirements leading to QUALIFIED ASSOCIATE FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (QAFP™) and CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER® (CFP®) certification.