Business Statistics II
- Review of Statistics: sampling methods, interval estimation and hypothesis testing, 1 and 2 populations
- Chi-square applications and pivot tables
- Non-parametric techniques for analysis of categorical and ranked data
- ANOVA and basic principles of experimental design
- Linear Regression, Correlation and Scatterplots: interpreting r and R2, t and F tests, examining residuals, estimation and prediction, computer solutions
- Multiple Regression and Model Building: meetings assumptions and conditions, examining residuals and diagnostics, adding qualitative variables, log and other transformations
- Forecasting and Time Series: components, smoothing, trend projection, seasonality, accuracy, projection using regression.
- Decision Analysis: structuring the problem, decision-making under certainty and risk, expected value, graphical sensitivity analysis
- Index numbers and more Linear Programming applications (if time permits)
Lectures and computer seminars.
*Includes at least 5% related to statistical analysis using computers.
Students must obtain a grade of at least 50% on the combined examinations/tests to obtain credit for the course.
Students may conduct research as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with College policies on ethical conduct for research involving humans, which can require obtaining Informed Consent from participants and getting the approval of the Douglas College Research Ethics Board prior to conducting the research.
The student will be able to:
- create interval estimates and conduct hypothesis tests of means and proportions to assess statistical and practical significance;
- analyze categorical data using pivot tables and chi-square analysis;
- build and apply regression models for estimation and prediction;
- develop forecasts using smoothing techniques and regression;
- analyze decisions using probability theory;
- use computer spreadsheets and statistical software in solving statistical problems.
- assess validity and appropriateness of statistical techniques and study design.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Sharpe, DeVeaux, Velleman and Wright. Business Statistics, latest Cdn ed., Pearson Canada
or Donnelly, Robert A. Jr..; Business Statistics, latest ed., Pearson
or similar Business Statistics textbook as approved by department
Department approved Business Calculator
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for BUSN 3431|
|Athabasca University (AU)||AU MGSC 312 (3)|
|BC Institute of Technology (BCIT)||BCIT OPMT 1130 (5.5) or BCIT OPMT 1197 (4.5)|
|Camosun College (CAMO)||CAMO BUS 231 (3)|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU BADM 310 (3)|
|Coast Mountain College (CMTN)||CMTN MATH 251 (3)|
|College of New Caledonia (CNC)||CNC MATH 2XX (3)|
|College of the Rockies (COTR)||COTR STAT 1XX (3)|
|Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU)||FDU DSCI 2130 (3)|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG STAT 3223 (3)|
|Northern Lights College (NLC)||NLC MATH 104 (3) & NLC MGMT 290 (3)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU STAT 101 (3) or SFU STAT 201 (3) or SFU STAT 203 (3)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||DOUG BUSN 2429 (3) & DOUG BUSN 3431 (3) = SFU BUS 232 (4) & SFU BUS 2XX (2)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU ECON 3XXX (3)|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU BUSI 2XX (3)|
|University Canada West (UCW)||UCW MATH 200 (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||DOUG BUSN 2290 (3) & DOUG BUSN 2429 (3) & DOUG BUSN 3431 (3) = UBCV COMM 190 (3) & UBCV COMM 191 (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV COMM 191 (3)|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC ECON 2XX (3)|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV BUS 226 (4)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC STAT 256 (1.5)|
|Vancouver Community College (VCC)||VCC HOSP 3910 (3)|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||VIU QUME 436 (3)|