Introduction to Financial Economics
- Overview of Corporate Finance and Financial Statements
- Valuation of Future Cash Flows
- Discounted Cash Flow Valuation
- Interest Rates and Bond Valuation
- Stock Valuation
- Market Efficiency
- NPV and Other Investment Criteria
- Capital Budgeting
- Project Analysis and Evaluation
- Realized versus Expected Returns
- Risk and Return - Diversification
- Risk and Return - CAPM
- Cost of Capital and Valuation
Lecture and discussion.
|Assignments:||0% - 20%|
|Term Tests:||0% - 20%|
|Midterm Exam:||20% - 40%|
|Final Exam:||30% - 40%|
Students may conduct research as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with College policies on ethical conduct for research involving humans, which can require obtaining Informed Consent from participants and getting the approval of the Douglas College Research Ethics Board prior to conducting the research.
Upon completion of the course the student will be able to:
- Determine the future and present value of investments with multiple cash flows;
- Analyze the determinants of bond price and volatility;
- Describe factors affecting bond yields and the term structure of interest rates;
- Explain how stock market prices are affected by dividends and dividend growth;
- Explain the importance of net present value in determining the value of an investment;
- Describe important determinants of project evaluation;
- Measure the expected return and risk of individual securities and portfolios.
- Utilize how the CAPM in portfolio analysis.
- Explain how to calculate a firm’s cost of debt and equity capital.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
S. Ross, R. Westerfield, B. Jordon, and G. Roberts. Fundamentals of Corporate Finance. Latest Edition, McGraw-Hill Ryerson.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for ECON 2298|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU ECON 2XXX (3)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU ECON 2XX (3)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU ECON 2XXX (3)|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU ECON 2XX (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO MGMT 2nd (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV COMM 298 (3)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC ECON 3XX (1.5)|