Principles of Macroeconomics
- Introduction to macroeconomics.
- Measuring macroeconomic variables.
- Aggregate expenditure model of income determination.
- Aggregate demand-aggregate supply model of income determination.
- Business cycles and fluctuations in national income.
- Fiscal policy.
- The money supply, the banking system, the Bank of Canada and monetary policy.
- Trade theory, including comparative advantage, and protectionism.
- Balance of payments and macroeconomic policy.
- Foreign exchange rates.
Lecture and Seminar.
|Final Examination||30% - 40%|
|Term Examination(s)||30% - 70%|
|Assignments||0% - 30%|
|Participation and/or Quizzes||0% - 10%|
THERE WILL BE A MINIMUM OF THREE (3) EVALUATIONS.
Students may conduct research as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with College policies on ethical conduct for research involving humans, which can require obtaining Informed Consent from participants and getting the approval of the Douglas College Research Ethics Board prior to conducting the research.
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- construct a model for national income determination and analyze the effects of a change in one of the variables, as in multiplier analysis;
- analyze the effects of inflation and deflation, and develop policy alternatives.
- apply the economic concepts of supply and demand to explain the determination of foreign exchange and interest rates;
- analyze the effectiveness of monetary and fiscal policies under fixed and flexible exchange rate regimes;
- analyze the policy options available to central authorities to maintain both internal and external balance in an open economy.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
The main text is to be chosen from the following, as determined by the instructor:
- Lipsey, R.G., Purvis et al. Economics, Latest Ed. New York: Harper & Row.
- Mankiw, N.G. et al. Principles of Macroeconomics, Latest Ed. Thomson Nelson.
- McConnel, Campbell R., Brue et al. Economics, Latest Ed. Toronto: McGraw-Hill Ryerson Limited
- Parkin, Michael and Robin Bade. Economics: Canada in the Global Environment, Latest Ed. Don Mills: Addison-Wesley Publishers Limited.
- Supplementary material may be chosen from the following, as determined by the instructor:
Study guides for the above texts and the available software.
BC Pre-Calculus 11 OR currently active in one of the following:
PBD Advanced Human Resource Management
PBD Advanced Supply Chain Management
PBD International Supply Chain Management
PDD Accounting Studies
PDD Financial Analysis
PDD Financial Planning
PDD Global Banking and Economics
PDD Human Resource Management
PDD International Business Management
PDD Supply Chain Management
PDD Project Management
ECON 1101 recommended
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for ECON 1250|
|Acsenda School of Management (ASM)||ASM ECON 122 (3)|
|Alexander College (ALEX)||ALEX ECON 105 (3)|
|Athabasca University (AU)||AU ECON 248 (3)|
|BC Institute of Technology (BCIT)||BCIT ECON 2200 (4)|
|Camosun College (CAMO)||CAMO ECON 104 (3)|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU ECON 112 (3)|
|Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU)||FDU ECON 2102 (3)|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU ECON 1250 (3)|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG ECON 1221 (3)|
|North Island College (NIC)||NIC ECO 111 (3)|
|Okanagan College (OC)||OC ECON 125 (3)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU ECON 105 (3)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU ECON 1950 (3)|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU ECON 102 (3)|
|University Canada West (UCW)||UCW ECON 104 (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO ECON 102 (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV ECON 102 (3)|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC ECON 101 (3)|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV ECON 101 (3)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC ECON 104 (1.5)|
|Vancouver Community College (VCC)||VCC ECON 1200 (3)|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||VIU ECON 212 (3)|