The Canadian Economy
- Introduction and basic concepts.
- Economic goals, e.g., price stability, high employment, growth.
- Government of Canada economic indicators.
- Model(s) of income determination.
- The money supply, Bank of Canada and monetary policy.
- Fiscal policy, stabilizers, public debt.
- International economics.
- Demand, supply and elasticities.
- The labour market.
- Perfect and imperfect competition.
- Current economic issues
Lectures and seminars.
|Term Tests||40% - 70%|
|Term Paper and/or Written Assignment(s)||0% - 20%|
|Final Examination||30% - 40%|
|Participation and/or quizzes||0% - 10%|
THERE WILL BE A MINIMUM OF THREE (3) EVALUATIONS.
Students may conduct research as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with College policies on ethical conduct for research involving humans, which can require obtaining Informed Consent from participants and getting the approval of the Douglas College Research Ethics Board prior to conducting the research.
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of the basic terminology of economics;
- examine and evaluate the degree to which the goals of the economy are currently achieved;
- apply various analytical concepts required in the study of macro and microeconomics.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Hird, H. Richard. Working with Economics, Latest Ed. Toronto: Maxwell MacMillan Canada Inc.
BC Pre-Calculus 11
No corequisite courses.
Courses listed here are equivalent to this course and cannot be taken for further credit:
- No equivalency courses
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for ECON 1101|
|BC Institute of Technology (BCIT)||BCIT ECON 1150 (3)|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU ECON 1XX (3)|
|College of the Rockies (COTR)||COTR ECON 100 (3)|
|Coquitlam College (COQU)||COQU ECON 100 (3)|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU ECON 1101 (3)|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG ECON 1119 (3)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU ECON 1XX (3)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU ECON 1220 (3)|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU ECON 1XX (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO ECON 112 (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV ECON 1st (3)|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC ECON 1XX (3)|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV ECON 215 (3)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC ECON 100 (1.5)|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||VIU ECON 100 (3)|