1. Introduction to corporate finance, financial statement analysis, valuation of cash flows.
2. Security valuation for stocks and bonds including time-value of money, discounting, expected risk/return, Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM) and diversification.
3. Cost of capital for project decision making, including working capital and discounted cash flow analysis.
4. Financing decisions including; capital structure; debt and dividend policy decisions; mergers and acquisitions.
Material will be presented within a lecture/discussion environment and may include online work.
|Term Tests (Minimum 2)||40-50%|
|Assignments (Minimum 2)||10-15%|
Assessment will be based on course objectives and will be carried out in accordance with the Douglas College Evaluation Policy.
No single assessment will be worth more than 40%.
Students must achieve a minimum grade of 50% on the combined invigilated components to pass the course.
Students may conduct research as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with College policies on ethical conduct for research involving humans, which can require obtaining Informed Consent from participants and getting the approval of the Douglas College Research Ethics Board prior to conducting the research.
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
1. Describe the financial environment within which the financial manager must operate;
2. Analyse financial statements to determine a company's performance relative to its industry or competitors;
3. Apply time value of money concepts, cash flow valuation, and risk premiums in making financing and capital budgeting decisions;
4. Apply cost of capital (before and after tax) and net working capital analysis (before and after tax), as well as debt versus equity financing considerations (including projected interest and foreign exchange rates) in financial management decisions;
5. Demonstrate a broad understanding of the theory of capital structure and its impact on management decision-making including corporate restructuring activities; and
6. Assess valuations of stocks and bonds.
Textbooks and materials to be purchased by students
1. Ross, S.; Westerfield, R.W. et al, Fundamentals of Corporate Finance, latest Canadian Edition, McGraw Hill
or Berk, J; DeMarzo, P.: et al. Fundamentals of Corporate Finance, latest Canadian Edition, Pearson
or alternate textbook determined by the department.
2. Calculator: Texas Instruments BA II Plus or as approved by Department.
No corequisite courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Athabasca University (AU)||AU FNCE 370 (3)||2014/09/01 to -|
|Camosun College (CAMO)||CAMO FIN 2XX (3)||2013/01/01 to -|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU BFIN 241 (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU ACCT 3380 (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG FMGT 2474 (3)||2017/01/01 to -|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG FMGT 2371 (3)||2010/09/01 to 2016/12/31|
|North Island College (NIC)||NIC BUS 244 (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Okanagan College (OC)||OC BUAD 195 (3)||2013/01/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU FNCE 2120 (3)||2014/09/01 to -|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||DOUG FINC 2320 (3) & DOUG FINC 2340 (3) = UBCV COMM 2nd (3), Precludes credit for UBCV COMM 298 and UBCV COMM 473.||2004/09/01 to 2013/04/30|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||DOUG FINC 2320 (3) & DOUG FINC 2340 (3) = UBCV COMM 2nd (3), Precludes credit for UBCV COMM 298 and UBCV COMM 473.||2004/09/01 to 2013/08/31|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC COMM 220 (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV BUS 1XX (3)||2004/09/01 to 2008/12/31|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV BUS 349 (3)||2009/01/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC COM 240 (1.5), Must have C or better to transfer.||2004/09/01 to -|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||VIU FNCE 330 (3)||2013/09/01 to -|