Note: FINC 2345 does not meet CPA requirements. Students should take the equivalent course FINC 2340 in order to meet CPA requirements
- Introduction to financial management, financial statement analysis and ratios
- Time value of money and discounted cash flow analysis
- Fundamental properties and valuation of bonds and stocks
- Capital budgeting decisions
- Risk and return in capital markets, equity risk premium and CAPM
- Long-term financing decisions: the cost of capital, capital structure decision and dividend policy
Material will be presented within a lecture format.
Term Examinations (2-3) 40 - 50%
Final Examination 30 - 40%
Quizzes and/or Assignments (2-8) 10 - 20%
To pass the course, students must achieve a cumulative grade of 50% in all non-group assessments as well as 50% overall in the course. In other words, students must have achieved at least 50% on their cumulative individual assessments in order to be eligible to earn marks from group work.
Students may conduct research as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with College policies on ethical conduct for research involving humans, which can require obtaining Informed Consent from participants and getting the approval of the Douglas College Research Ethics Board prior to conducting the research.
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- describe the financial environment within which the financial manager must operate;
- analyze information contained in financial statements and understand how it is used to make financial decisions;
- apply time value of money methodology to cash flow applications including valuing bonds and stocks;
- use capital budgeting techniques to support decisions regarding capital investments for a firm; and
- make decisions regarding long term financing for a firm, in particular, the use of equity and debt to finance the firm’s operations.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Berk, J; DeMarzo, P.: et al. Fundamentals of Corporate Finance, latest Canadian Edition, Pearson
or Ross, S.; Westerfield, R.W. et al, Fundamentals of Corporate Finance, latest Canadian Edition, McGraw Hill
or alternate textbook determined by the department.
- Calculator: Texas Instruments BA II Plus OR as approved by Department
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Camosun College (CAMO)||DOUG FINC 2255 (3) & DOUG FINC 2345 (3) = CAMO FIN 210 (3)||2013/01/01 to 2017/04/30|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG FMGT 2371 (3)||2009/01/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU FNCE 2120 (3)||2014/09/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV BUS 3XX (3)||2004/09/01 to -|