1. Introduction to the Canadian investment environment.
2. Global capital markets and investment instruments.
3. The structure and evolution of asset management industry.
4. Fundamentals of mutual funds, ETFs and hedge funds.
5. Fund management fees and other fund charges.
6. Value vs. Growth investing and correlation of investment style and risk.
7. Passive vs. Active management and asset allocation strategy.
8. Behavioural finance and technical analysis.
9. Futures, forwards and swap contracts.
10. Application of options trading strategies.
11. Derivatives in portfolio insurance.
A combination of lectures, supplementary materials & presentations and class presentations.
|Project & Presentation||20%-25%|
|Class Assignments and Participation||10%|
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
1. describe the Canadian investment environment and the global capital markets;
2. explain and evaluate the risk and return profiles associated with different types of securities;
3. describe and evaluate mutual funds and ETFs by categories and subcategories based on security type, investment objective and style;
4. provide an in-depth explanation of expense ratios, loads and other fund charges;
5. determine the role that mutual funds, ETFs and hedge funds should play in individual/institutional investor’s portfolio; outline appropriate asset allocation strategies;
6. build a portfolio of funds that is suitable to investor’s goals and unique situation;
7. describe the concept of behaviour finance and its implications;
8. conduct an actual technical analysis on a given portfolio of securities; and
9. understand the concept of derivative securities and illustrate the way they are used as investment strategies in hedging, trading and portfolio insurance.
Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management (Latest Edition), Frank K. Reilly & Keith C. Brown,
Thomson South-Western. Textbook subject to change with approval of the department. Software purchase may be required.
Only Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration approved calculators may be used.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Athabasca University (AU)||AU FNCE 3XX (3)||2014/09/01 to -|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU BFIN 3XX (3)||2014/09/01 to -|
|Coast Mountain College (CMTN)||CMTN BADM 2XX (3)||2014/09/01 to -|
|College of the Rockies (COTR)||COTR ACCT 4XX (3)||2014/09/01 to -|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||No credit||2007/09/01 to -|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG BUSM 2XXX (3)||2007/09/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU BUS 1XX (3)||2007/09/01 to 2014/08/31|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU BUS 2XX (3)||2014/09/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU BBUS 3XXX (3)||2011/01/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU ADMN 3XX (3)||2007/09/01 to 2010/12/31|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU BUSI 317 (3)||2007/09/01 to -|
|University Canada West (UCW)||UCW FNCE 301 (3)||2014/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV COMM 2nd (3)||2014/09/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC COMM 321 (3)||2014/09/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV BUS 3XX (3)||2007/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC COM 3XX (1.5)||2007/09/01 to -|