1. Characteristics, needs, users and sources of investment capital.
2. Structure of capital markets, market efficiency and market indexes.
3. The investment process, types of trades and accounts.
4. Characteristics and types of equities.
5. Principles, features and types of fixed income securities.
6. Warrants, options, futures and forwards.
7. Equity valuation models and techniques.
8. Bond prices, yields and duration.
9. Structure, redemption and regulation of mutual funds and ETFs.
10. Styles, benefits and risks of hedge funds and other specialized products.
11. Portfolio approach to investing.
Material will be presented within a lecture/discussion/application environment.
Midterm exam(s) 30%- 40%
Term Project 20%-25%
Final Exam 30%-40%
1. Describe structure of capital markets, market efficiency and financial services industry.
2. List and explain the different types of market indexes.
3. Demonstrate and explain use of different types of trades, margin accounts and short sales.
4. Describe the different types of equity securities
5. Demonstrate features of various types of fixed income securities.
6. List and describe the different types of derivative securities and their features.
7. Demonstrate the different types of valuation models and techniques on equities.
8. Perform bond price, yield and duration calculations.
9. Identify and describe the various types of mutual funds and ETFs, their structures and regulations.
10. Identify and explain the features of hedge funds and other specialized products.
11. Demonstrate the principles and methods which apply to the portfolio approach to investing.
Jordan, Miller, Dolvin, Yuce, Fundamentals of Investments, McGraw Hill, Latest Edition, or other textbooks determined by the department. Students will be required to purchase and use Stock-Trak software or equivalent.
Calculator: Texas Instruments BA II Plus or other calculator approved by the Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration may be used for tests and examinations.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG FMGT 2475 (3)||2009/01/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV BUS 3XX (3)||2017/09/01 to -|