Applied Community Studies
Youth Justice Work Dipl
Date of First Offering
Diploma in Youth Justice
Length of Program
- General College Admission Requirements
- Meet the minimum age requirement of 19 years by November 1st of the first semester.
- Successfully participate in a formal orientation and selection process to determine suitability and readiness for training. Suitability is determined on the basis of an overview of an applicant's emotional stability, physical health, formal education, the ability to work in a team setting and life experience.
- Criminal Record Search (CRS) - Information to be provided by the Office of the Registrar.
- A medical declaration indicating a satisfactory level of physical and emotional health. The workload of the programs and the close contact with individuals in practical settings require students to be in good mental and physical health. Medical declarations are valid for one year.
- Successful completion of 60 hours paid or volunteer experience in an approved setting.
- Applicants are contacted by the Registrar's Office and advised of the program orientation meeting at which the dates for the screening process are confirmed. Attendance at both the orientation and screening process meetings is mandatory.
|YJWD 1100||Personal and Professional Issues For The Youth Justice Worker||3|
|CRIM 1100||Introduction to the Criminal Justice System||3|
|YJWD 1220||Counselling Skills for Youth Justice Workers||3|
|YJWD 1200||Behavioral Intervention Strategies For The Youth Justice Worker||1.5|
|YJWD 1240||Youth Justice Worker: Practicum I||4.5|
|CFCS 1130||Change and Development Lifespan||3|
|CRIM 1150||Introduction to Criminology||3|
|CRIM 1170||Introduction to Corrections||3|
|CRIM 1160||The Canadian Legal System||3|
|ENGL 1130 or||Academic Writing||3 or|
|CMNS 1115 or||Practical Writing||3 or|
|CMNS 1110||Workplace Writing for Child, Family and Community Studies||3|
|CFCS 1260||Community Practice: Addictions||3|
|CRIM 2253||Youth, Crime and Law||3|
|CRIM 2260||Criminal Law||3|
|YJWD 2300||Group Dynamics and Activity Planning For The Youth Justice Worker||3|
|YJWD 2463||Community Practice: Mental Health for the Youth Justice Worker||3|
|CFCS 2333||Change and Development: Families||3|
|CRIM 2460||Community Practice: Abuse||3|
|CRIM 2251||Psychological Explanations of Criminal Behaviour||3|
|YJWD 2340||Youth Justice Worker: Practicum II||6|
|Total credits for diploma||60|