Foundation for Music Therapy Studies
The Foundation for Music Therapy Studies Program assists you in developing grounded and relaxed guitar and vocal techniques used in the music therapy field. You’ll build your music skills through applied music training in melodic intervals, fingerpicking patterns, chord progressions, healthy vocal techniques, body language for performance and more.
As part of your education at Douglas a music therapist will supervise your progress so you can discuss techniques and get advice on future steps. You’ll further develop your music therapy techniques by playing and singing music publicly in health care and childcare settings.
The blend of music and psychology courses provide the prerequisites for third-year entry into Capilano University’s Bachelor of Music Therapy program, currently the only provider of a music therapy degree in B.C.
- Students must complete 60 credits.
- University Transferable courses are courses that transfer to one of the 5 Research Universities (SFU, UBC, UBCO, UNBC or UVIC), according to the BC Transfer Guide www.bctransferguide.ca
12 credits: 4 Psychology courses:
6 credits: 2 English courses:
- ENGL 1130, and
- any other university-transferable ENGL course
3 credits: 1 Science / Math course, chosen from:
- PSYC 2315
- any university-transferable math course (MATH 1234 recommended)
- any university-transferable science course
3 credits: 1 university-transferable course
12 credits: 4 Academic Music courses:
- Music Theory:
- Music History:
6-8 credits: any 4 Music Ensemble courses, chosen from the following:
- Concert Band: MUSC 1130, 1230, 2330, 2430 [2 credits each]
- Jazz Ensemble: MUSC 1137, 1237, 2337, 2437 [1.5 credits each]
- Beginning Instrumental Ensemble: MUSC 1135, 1235 [1.5 credits each]
- Fusion Band*: MUSC 1177, 1277, 2177, 2277 [1.5 credits each]
- Chorus: MUSC 1140, 1240, 2340, 2440 [2 credits each]
- Beginning Choral Ensemble: MUSC 1145,1245 [1.5 credits each]
- Chorale: MUSC 1144, 1244, 2344, 2444 [2 credits each]
- Percussion Ensemble: MUSC 1184, 1284, 2384, 2484 [1.5 credits each]
- Guitar Ensemble: MUSC 1185,1285,2385,2485 [1.5 credits each]
*Note: Fusion Band participation is dependent upon seat availability. Music Technology students have registration priority.
9 credits: 4 Applied Music courses:
7-9 credits: Music electives, chosen from the following:
Academic Music options:
- Music Theory: MUSC 1201, 2310, 2410, 2312, 2412 [3 credits each]
- Music History: MUSC 1221, 1120, 1220, 2320, 2420, PEFA 3136, PEFA 3236 [3 credits each. Only count here if not counted toward the two required Music History courses, above.]
Applied Music options:
- Ear Training and Sight Singing: MUSC 1204, 2315, 2415 [3 credits each]
- Composition: MUSC 1113, 1213 [2 credits each]
- Contemporary Instrumental Improvisation: MUSC 1114, 1214, 2314, 2414 [1.5 credits each]
- Studio Instruction - General (1/2 hr): MUSC 1153, 1253, 2353, 2453 [2 credits each, additional fees apply]
- Studio Instruction - General (1hr): MUSC 1152, 1252, 2352, 2452 [3 credits each, additional fees apply]
- Class Piano - MUSC 1206, 1116, 1216, 2316, 2416 [2 credits each]
- Keyboard Harmony: MUSC 1162, 1262 [1.5 credits each]
- Any ensemble course not counted toward the ensemble requirement [1.5-2 credits each]
60 credits: TOTAL
- General College Admission Requirements
- English 12 with a minimum final grade of "C", or approved substitution
- Intake Interview. The student will meet with a music faculty member to discuss their course plan. Students are advised that for many music courses, pre-requisite knowledge is required. Course eligibility will be measured by assessments (e.g. theory and aural skills courses) or auditions (e.g. ensembles, studio instruction courses). Assessments and auditions are linked to course eligibility, not program eligibility.
*NOTE: 3.0 credits in Science or Math are required for graduation from this program. Some courses that fulfill this requirement have science or math prerequisites. Please check individual courses for more information.
Graduates of this foundations program typically transfer to Capilano University to become certified as a Music Therapist.
Program Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this program and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the program, consider the previous version as the applicable version.