Through class participation, students will develop technical and aural ability through the study of the blues, modes and selected II-V-I progressions.
Students may participate on either their primary or secondary instrument. Drummers will play either a mallet instrument (vibraphone) or percussion in addition to drums.
As this course is designed for the beginner or novice jazz soloist, no previous experience in jazz improvisation is required.
- The blues, II-V-I and modes
- Using lead sheets
- Playing a melody
- Applying knowledge of the harmony
- Assimilating jazz rhythms
- Playing by ear
- Improvising using limited resources
- Developing a rhythmic flow
- Phrasing in jazz
- Understanding the importance of a musical vocabulary - "licks" and patterns
- Organizing an improvised solo
- Practicing techniques
- Studying the masters
- Transcribing a solo
- Interacting in the group setting
- Comping (improvised accompaniment for guitarists and pianists)
Class participation up to the mid-term: 15%
Class participation from the mid-term to the end of the course: 15%
Solo improvisation - tested at the end of the course: 30%
Written Exams (mid-term and final): 20%
Transcription projects (2 minimum): 20%
The successful student will be able to:
- Perform a basic solo in the blues style
- Read basic chord changes as found in the blues using either the blues scales or proper chord/scale combinations
- Demonstrate understanding of the basic blues forms (12-bar, 16-bar, minor, modal)
- Demonstrate understanding of selected blues melodies as studied in class
The instructor may assign a text book such as: Creative Jazz Improvisation by Scott Reeves (Prentice Hall), or A Guide to Jazz Improvisation by John la Porta (Berklee Press) – students will purchase the version that applies to their instrument.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|There are no applicable transfer credits for this course.|