Lectures and Computer Labs
This course is taught using a combination of lectures, case analyses, and team-work. Student teams will be given the opportunity to implement and analyze business strategic decisions of their choice in detail and present the results of such strategies in class. The purpose of the competing teams will be to explore and discuss new cutting-edge business strategies.
- Overview of Strategic Management.
- Company Mission.
- External Environment.
- Environmental Forecasting.
- Internal Analysis and Company Profile.
- Formulation of Objectives and Strategies, Long and Short-term.
- Strategic Analysis and Choice.
- Strategic Simulation using a Computer Model.
The student will be able to:
- Develop a managerial approach to analyzing business problems.
- Apply the skills necessary to develop corporate, business level and functional level strategies that will create competitive advantages and be able to defend their selection for a particular business situation.
- Apply a number of theoretical tools to analyze a company’s competitive environment;
- Recommend, describe and analyze aspects of business strategy.
- Solve case problems using business strategy concepts.
- Prepare reports which analyze and explain business strategy.
|Case Studies (1-10)||10-30%|
|Group Reports (1-4)||10-30%|
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students:
Pearce, J. A. and Robinson, R. B. Formulation, Implementation and Control of Competitive Strategy, Latest Ed. Richard D. Irwin
One of the following computer simulations, depending upon instructor's choice and inter-institutional agreements:
Arthur A. Thompson, Jr., Stappenbeck and Reidenbach: BSG.
GLO-BUS Software, Inc. The Business Strategy Game is marketed exclusively by McGraw-Hill / Irwin, Inc.
Jensen, R. L. Business Management Laboratory, Latest Ed. Richard D. Irwin
Scott, Strickland, Hofmeister and Thompson. Micromatic: A Strategic Management Simulation, Latest Ed. Houghton Mifflin Co.
Smith, J. R. and Golden, P. A. Corporation, a Strategic Management Simulation Latest Ed. Prentice Hall