This course is not active. Please contact Department Chair for more information.
[approximate time allocation in weeks]
-  Algebra Review: ratio, proportion and percent, linear equations and inequalities, factoring, exponents and radicals, polynomials, quadratic equations, problem-solving logic (and, or, else, also, etc.).
-  Graphing of Linear Functions: including use of slope and intercept.
-  Graphing of Quadratic Functions: including vertex, maximum/minimum, intercepts.
-  Deriving and Graphing Exponential and Log Functions: exponential growth, logs to base 2, 10, e, change of base formula.
-  Time Value of Money: simple and compound interest, ordinary simple annuities (PV, FV, PMT, i, n), nominal, effective, equivalent rates, amortization, sinking funds, financial calculator applications, timelines.
-  Systems of Linear Equations: intersections of lines (in 2 and 3 variables).
-  Cost-Volume-Profit Analysis: break-even by volume, percent capacity, and $ value, linear and quadratic (parabolic functions).
-  Statistics: mean (single and grouped data), median, mode, range, standard deviation (sample and pop), Coefficient of Variation, Normal distribution, Empirical Rule.
-  Graphing Data: bar, pie, and line graphs, setting scale.
|Term Exams (3-4)||50%-60%|
The student will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to algebraically derive and solve equations in functional and general form for problems in business.
- Demonstrate the ability to solve financial problems involving calculation of present and future value, payments, interest rate and compounding periods.
- Demonstrate the ability to determine break-even and equilibrium positions for problems (linear and non-linear) in business.
- Demonstrate the ability to organize and present data, and calculate descriptive statistics for single and grouped data.
Harshbarger, R.J. and Reynolds, J.J. Mathematical Applications for the Management, Life and Social Sciences, Latest Edition, Houghton Mifflin.
One of the following Business Calculators:
Texas Instruments BAII+
Texas Instruments BA35
Hewlett Packard 10B
BC Principles of Math 11 or DVST 0410 or equivalent
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Acsenda School of Management (ASM)||ASM BADM 120 (3)||2010/09/01 to 2014/08/31|
|Acsenda School of Management (ASM)||ASM MT 1100 (3)||2006/01/01 to 2010/08/31|
|Athabasca University (AU)||AU MATH 244 (3)||2009/09/01 to 2014/08/31|
|BC Institute of Technology (BCIT)||BCIT OPMT 1108 (4) or BCIT OPMT 1110 (4)||2009/01/01 to -|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU BADM 102 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2014/08/31|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU ACCT 1130 (3) or KPU BUQU 1130 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2014/08/31|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG MATH 1119 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2014/08/31|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU MATH 110 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2005/08/31|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU BUS 1XX (3)||2005/09/01 to 2014/08/31|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU MATH 1091 (3)||2011/01/01 to 2014/08/31|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU MATH 109 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2005/08/31|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||No credit||2004/09/01 to 2014/08/31|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||No credit||2004/09/01 to 2014/08/31|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC COMM 1XX (3)||2004/09/01 to 2014/08/31|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV BUS 162 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2014/08/31|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC MATH 1XX (1.5)||2004/09/01 to 2014/08/31|