[approximate time allocation in weeks]
-  Algebra Review: ratio, proportion and percent, linear equations and inequalities, factoring, exponents and radicals, polynomials, quadratic equations, problem-solving logic (and, or, else, also, etc.).
-  Graphing of Linear Functions: including use of slope and intercept.
-  Graphing of Quadratic Functions: including vertex, maximum/minimum, intercepts.
-  Deriving and Graphing Exponential and Log Functions: exponential growth, logs to base 2, 10, e, change of base formula.
-  Time Value of Money: simple and compound interest, ordinary simple annuities (PV, FV, PMT, i, n), nominal, effective, equivalent rates, amortization, sinking funds, financial calculator applications, timelines.
-  Systems of Linear Equations: intersections of lines (in 2 and 3 variables).
-  Cost-Volume-Profit Analysis: break-even by volume, percent capacity, and $ value, linear and quadratic (parabolic functions).
-  Statistics: mean (single and grouped data), median, mode, range, standard deviation (sample and pop), Coefficient of Variation, Normal distribution, Empirical Rule.
-  Graphing Data: bar, pie, and line graphs, setting scale.
The student will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to algebraically derive and solve equations in functional and general form for problems in business.
- Demonstrate the ability to solve financial problems involving calculation of present and future value, payments, interest rate and compounding periods.
- Demonstrate the ability to determine break-even and equilibrium positions for problems (linear and non-linear) in business.
- Demonstrate the ability to organize and present data, and calculate descriptive statistics for single and grouped data.
|Term Exams (3-4)||50%-60%|
Harshbarger, R.J. and Reynolds, J.J. Mathematical Applications for the Management, Life and Social Sciences, Latest Edition, Houghton Mifflin.
One of the following Business Calculators:
Texas Instruments BAII+
Texas Instruments BA35
Hewlett Packard 10B
BC Principles of Math 11 or DVST 0410 or equivalent