- Use and maintenance of intravenous infusion device
- Calculating intravenous flow rates
- Regulating, monitoring and maintaining intravenous therapy, and fluid balance
- Changing an intravenous bag and tubing
- Discontinuing an intravenous infusion device
- Preparation and administration of intravenous medications via a secondary infusion set
- Use and maintenance of intravenous saline locks
- Preparation and administration of medication via intermittent line or IV direct (bolus)
- Converting an intravenous infusion to a saline intravenous lock device
- Pre and post-operative care including ECT, surgical and diagnostic treatments
- Neurovascular assessment (complex) and cast care
- Surgical asepsis
- Sterile dressing change (simple)
- Removing sutures/staples
- Maintaining and removing closed wound drainage devices
- Holistic client assessment
Students will learn clinical procedure skills through a variety of means including lecture, observation, audio-visual aids, demonstration, simulations and case studies. Students will have an opportunity to practice skills in a laboratory setting.
The course evaluation is consistent with Douglas College evaluation policy. An evaluation schedule is presented at the beginning of the course.
This is a graded course.
In this course the student will use the Douglas College Psychiatric Nursing Curricular threads (wellness-illness continuum, professional values, professional caring and health care delivery system) and domains (person, environment, health, psychiatric nursing) to integrate knowledge, skills and attributes related to clinical procedures when caring for the person experiencing an episodic health challenge.
A list of required and optional textbooks and materials is provided for students at the beginning of each semester.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|There are no applicable transfer credits for this course.|