- chest auscultation
- measuring intake and output
- collection of urine via indwelling catheter
- care of indwelling catheter
- discontinuation of indwelling catheter
- application of condom drainage
- O2 therapy (low flow system, nasal cannula, simple face mask)
- administration of oral, topical, eye/ear installations, transdermal, narcotic, inhalant and nebulizing medications
- administration of enemas and rectal suppositories
- preparation and administration of subcutaneous injections
- preparation and administration of intradermal injections
- preparation and administration of: IM/Z track injections
- medication via s.c. “butterfly”
- care of the body after death
- isolation techniques/ standard precautions
- neurological assessment
- neurovascular assessment
- ear irrigation with bulb syringe
- bladder scanner
- care of the unconscious patient
Students will learn clinical procedure skills through a variety of means including lecture, observation, audio-visual aids, demonstration, simulations, and case studies. Students will have an opportunity to practice skills in a laboratory setting.
This course evaluation is consistent with Douglas College evaluation policy. An evaluation schedule is presented at the beginning of the course.
This is a graded course.
In this course the student will use the Douglas College Department of Psychiatric Nursing Curricular threads (wellness – illness continuum, Professional values, Professional caring and health care delivery system) and domain (person, environment, health, psychiatric nursing) to integrate knowledge, skills and attributes related to clinical procedures when caring for the person experiencing an on-going health challenge.
A list of required and optional textbooks and materials is provided for students at the beginning of each semester.
Students in the BSPN program are required to maintain a passing grade of 65% (C+) in all courses in order to progress in the program.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|There are no applicable transfer credits for this course.|