Therapeutic Relations I
The communication will be introduced through:
- Understanding the phases of the nurse-client relationship
- Understanding and demonstration of core therapeutic conditions of warmth, respect, genuineness and empathy
- Understanding the strategies of open and closed questions, normalization, shame attenuation, paraphrasing and summarizing
- Understanding the skill of using silence as a therapeutic tool
- Understanding and demonstration of assertive and responsible communication
- Understanding self-awareness and the relationship to therapeutic communication
- Understanding the concepts of confidentiality, professional boundaries and providing feedback
- Introduction of the Mental Status Exam
Experiential communication formats are used; including, interactive communication scenarios, video critiquing and participative self-awareness exercises.
The course evaluation is consistent with Douglas College evaluation policy. An evaluation schedule is presented at the beginning of the course.
This is a graded course.
Students will learn the core therapeutic conditions of warmth, respect, genuineness, empathy and concreteness with a focus on building self-awareness of their own communication styles, therapeutic use of self and understanding the client experience.
A list of required and optional textbooks and materials is provided for students at the beginning of each semester.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for PNUR 2121|
|There are no applicable transfer credits for this course.|
PNUR 2121 001 is restricted to BSPN students. Students will be assigned to groups by course instructors.
Registration in this course provides registrants with a 'time conflict' error. This error can be disregarded for this course as it is due to a required room booking overlap.