Material will be presented within an interactive lecture and seminar format.
- Pertinent mathematics and algebra review: ratios, proportions, percent, fractions, exponents, problem-solving logic, logarithms and weighted average.
- Application of linear functions to a variety of business problems, including percent change, payroll and return on investment, discounts, mark-up, mark-down.
- Cost Volume Profit Analysis: linear break-even by quantity, dollar amount, percent of capacity.
- Simple interest: time value of money, equivalent values, promissory notes, T-bills, commercial paper, demand loans.
- Compound interest: present, future and equivalent values, equivalent and effective interest rates, using differing compounding and payment periods, bond valuations.
- Annuities: annuities, loan amortization, mortgages, sinking fund provisions, perpetuities.
- Business investment decisions using net present value and internal rate of return.
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- demonstrate mathematical and algebraic skills and use of logic to solve business-related problems;
- solve mathematics of merchandising problems, including cash and trade discounts, mark-up and mark-down;
- demonstrate competence in solving financial problems involving the calculation of simple and compound interest, annuities, investment and management decisions; and
- solve basic linear problems in two variables and determine break-even positions in business.
|Term Exams (2-4)||40-60%|
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
1. Hummelbrunner, Halliday, Coombs, Contemporary Business Mathematics, latest Canadian Edition, Pearson Education
or Jerome, Ernest F. Business Mathematics in Canada, latest edition, McGraw Hill
or alternate textbook approved by the Department.
2. Calculator: Texas Instruments BA II Plus OR as approved by the Department.
Pre-Calculus 11 (C or higher) or Foundations of Math 11 (C or higher) or MATU 0410 (C or higher) or an approved substitute,
OR currrently active in the PDD in Financial Analysis, PDD International Business Management, PDD Financial Planning, PBD International Supply Chain Management, PBD Accounting and Finance, or PBD Finance.