- Information and Material Flow
- using flowcharts to describe and analyze the flow of information, people, and materials within a business.
- Product Design and Process Selection
- nature of service and manufacturing, design of the system, process selection and improvements.
- Total Quality Management
- cost of quality, quality specification, W.E. Deming, continuous improvement, TQM principles and tools, statistical process control.
- Forecasting and Capacity Planning
- simple forecasting methods, time series analysis, simple linear regression, analysis of forecasting error, volume versus capacity, economies of scale.
- Facility Location and Layout
- issues of facility location, process / product / group technology / fixed position / retail / office layouts.
- Job Design, Work Measurement,
- behavioural and physical considerations, methods, measurement.
- Project Management
- defining a project, organization, critical path method, Gantt charts, crashing.
- Aggregate Planning and Inventory Systems
- production planning issues and methods, Master Production Schedule, MRP, MRPII and ERP; ABC, Economic Order Quantity, Re-order Point, and Fixed Period Systems.
- job shop scheduling, priority, shop-floor control, personnel scheduling.
- Logistics, Materials Management and Purchasing, Just-In-Time Systems
- integrated management, purchasing and sourcing, materials handling.
Lecture and discussion, videos, computer assignments, business visits and tours.
|Cases and Term Project||35%|
Students must obtain a combined mark of at least 50%
on the examination components of the assessments to receive a passing grade for
Students may conduct research as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with College policies on ethical conduct for research involving humans, which can require obtaining Informed Consent from participants and getting the approval of the Douglas College Research Ethics Board prior to conducting the research.
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- describe and contrast service and manufacturing operations;
- describe the information and materials flow in a business;
- conduct a simple forecast and estimate capacity for a small business;
- propose a facility location, design a layout, and analyze jobs for a small business;
- plan and manage a simple project using basic project management tools;
- describe and contrast several inventory systems;
- describe the concepts of the supply chain;
- analyze the operations of a small business and propose process improvements;
- describe the concepts of TQM, continuous improvement and solve simple SPC problems;
- use a computer spreadsheet to solve problems.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
- Stevenson, W.J., Operations Management, McGraw-Hill, Latest Edition or comparable text.
- Department approved calculator.
BUSN 1210 and (BUSN 2429, or MATH 1160, or B+ in MATH 12), Instructor Permission OR currently active in the:
PDD Data Analytics AND BUSN 2429 or
PDD Hospitality Management or
PBD Computer and Information Systems AND BUSN 2429.
Courses listed here must be completed either prior to or simultaneously with this course:
- No corequisite courses
Courses listed here are equivalent to this course and cannot be taken for further credit:
- No equivalency courses
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for BUSN 3380|
|Athabasca University (AU)||AU MGSC 368 (3)|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU BADM 301 (3)|
|College of the Rockies (COTR)||COTR MGMT 3XX (3)|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU BUSI 2405 (3)|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG BUSM 2XXX (3)|
|Okanagan College (OC)||OC BUAD 382 (3)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU BUS 2XX (3)|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU BUSI 381 (3)|
|University Canada West (UCW)||UCW OPMT 301 (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO ELEV 2nd (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV COMM 2nd (3)|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC COMM 2XX (3)|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV BUS 350 (3)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC COM 2XX (1.5)|
BUSN 3380 001 - This section is restricted to Business Management Diplomas, BBA Management, PBD International & PDD Supply Chain Management, PDD Hospitality Management, PDD Hospitality Marketing, and both PBD Computer and Information Systems - Data Analytics Stream & Emerging Technology Stream until Friday, August 26, 2022 at 9 am.
BUSN 3380 002 - This section is restricted to Business Management Diplomas, BBA Management, PBD International & PDD Supply Chain Management, PDD Hospitality Management, PDD Hospitality Marketing, and both PBD Computer and Information Systems - Data Analytics Stream & Emerging Technology Stream until Friday, August 26, 2022 at 9 am.