Seminar: 7 hours per semester
Practicum: 25 hours per semester
Practical application and experience
1. Occupational and Workplace Awareness
1.1 Skills, knowledge, and educational requirements
1.2 Workplace culture
1.3 Workplace policies
2. Academic/Technical Learning
2.1 Applying BPEC course material to practicum experience
2.2 Applying elective course material to practicum experience
3.2 Following workplace policies and procedures
3.3 Working safely and ethically
4. Self-Awareness and Professional Development
4.1 Professional confidence
4.2 Employability skills
4.3 Setting realistic career goals
4.4 Identifying professional development opportunities related to career goals
4.5 Soliciting and implementing feedback
Upon completion of the course, successful students will be able to:
- provide evidence of current occupational practices, issues, technologies, and skills relevant to their program of study and desired career options.
- identify responsibilities and challenges faced by practitioners in the field.
- identify the necessary education, credentials, and experiences required to secure a job in the field.
- apply appropriate workplace attitudes and behaviours.
- effectively implement supervisory feedback.
- apply strong interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- execute entry-level job-specific tasks.
- assist site supervisors with the execution of complex job-specific tasks.
- identify employability skills through site observations, task execution, and reflection.
- describe results of reflection on individual strengths and weaknesses in relation to the requirements of the placement.
- set goals for personal and professional development.
Assessment will be in accordance with the Douglas College Evaluation Policy. This is a Mastery/Non-Mastery course. The instructor will present a written course outline with specific evaluation criteria at the beginning of the semester. Evaluation may include the following:
3. Journal entries
4. Site supervisor evaluation
5. Seminar participation
Consult the Douglas College Bookstore for the latest required textbooks and materials.