- The Performance Space:
- function vs. aesthetics
- sight lines
- seating plans
- the proscenium arch
- thrust and apron stage
- arena stage
- other forms
- Stage Equipment
- the counterweight system
- the pin and rail
- curtains, tabs, torms, teaser, borders
- The Scene Shop: tools and materials
- Construction Procedures:
- scenic units -two dimensional -three dimensional
- weight bearing units
- glues and adhesives
- Safety Procedures
- safe work habits
- safe working environment
- fire extinguishers and alarms
- safety switches
- Basic Engineering
- read and interpret plans
- cost estimation
- calculate construction requirements for floors, platforms, ramps, stairs under various loads
- calculate safe working loads for the counterweight system
Students will receive 1 to 1 ½ hours of lecture/demonstration followed by 2 ½ to 3 hours of shop that includes independent work and one-on-one instruction.
|Drafting/construction projects x8||50%|
|Written tests x3||15%|
|Practical tests x3||35%|
Upon completion of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- Demonstrate safe working practices and procedures when dealing with tools, materials, and machinery common to scene construction.
- Develop and demonstrate skills in:
- construction techniques
- basic engineering
- development and interpretation of shop plans
- cost estimation
- Describe the “theatrical space” and its various forms and design.
A list of recommended textbooks and materials is provided on the Instructor’s Course Outline, which is available to students at the beginning of each semester.
- Gillette, Michael. Theatrical Design and Production. 3rd Ed. Toronto: Mayfield Publishing Co., 1997.
- Carter, Paul. Backstage Handbook. 3rd Ed. Shelter Island: Broadway Press, 1994
- CSA Grade 1, Green Triangle Safety Footwear.
Acceptance to Stagecraft Program or permission of the Stagecraft Program Coordinator.
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU ARTS 1XXX (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU THTR 1XX (2)||2004/09/01 to 2010/08/31|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU THTR 1XXX (2)||2004/09/01 to 2009/04/30|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU THTR 1XXX (2)||2010/09/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||No credit||2009/05/01 to 2010/12/31|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU DRAM 2XX (1)||2004/09/01 to 2009/08/31|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU THTR 2XX (1)||2009/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||No credit||2005/05/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV THTR 1st (2)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV THEA 1XX (2)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC THEA 1XX (1)||2004/09/01 to -|