There will be a blend of lectures, group discussions, case studies, and guest speakers. A significant portion of the time will be devoted to role playing with different cultural biases.
- Partnering in selling.
- Flexing to communication styles.
- Understanding the international buyer.
- Planning and approaching in international marketplace.
- Effective presentations.
- Negotiating objections or reservations.
- Closing and servicing the sale.
- Selling ethics.
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of effective sales techniques;
- demonstrate the ability to put these sales techniques into practical use;
- explain the different cultural values and expectations of various cultures and ethnic groups, and how to cater to them in a sales situation;
- demonstrate the ability to adapt to culturally diverse sales situations.
|Role playing exercises||30%|
|Written term project||20%|
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Avial, R.A. et al. The Professional Selling Skills Workbook, Latest Ed. Orlando: Harcourt Brace.
Chaney and Martin. Intercultural Business Communication, Latest Ed. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
Guttman, Peter. The International Consultant, Latest Ed. Washington, D.C.: John Wiley and Sons.