- Partnering in selling.
- Flexing to communication styles.
- Understanding the international buyer.
- Planning and approaching in international marketplace.
- Effective presentations.
- Negotiating objections or reservations.
- Closing and servicing the sale.
- Selling ethics.
There will be a blend of lectures, group discussions, case studies, and guest speakers. A significant portion of the time will be devoted to role playing with different cultural biases.
|Role playing exercises||30%|
|Written term project||20%|
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of effective sales techniques;
- demonstrate the ability to put these sales techniques into practical use;
- explain the different cultural values and expectations of various cultures and ethnic groups, and how to cater to them in a sales situation;
- demonstrate the ability to adapt to culturally diverse sales situations.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Avial, R.A. et al. The Professional Selling Skills Workbook, Latest Ed. Orlando: Harcourt Brace.
Chaney and Martin. Intercultural Business Communication, Latest Ed. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
Guttman, Peter. The International Consultant, Latest Ed. Washington, D.C.: John Wiley and Sons.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG INTB 1XXX (3)||2009/01/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU BUS 1XX (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU BUSI 1XX (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO ELEV 2nd (3)||2009/05/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO ARTS 1st (3)||2005/05/01 to 2009/04/30|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV COMM 2nd (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC COMM 2XX (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV BUS 1XX (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|