Case Analysis, Management Simulation Software, Industry Presentations, Group Business Policy Project(s)
- Ethical Issues
- Strategic Planning
- Structure and Policies
- Problem Solving/Decision Making
- Group Process
- Presentation Skills
- Human Resources
- Management Accounting
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- Analyze a case and develop skills in problem identification and opportunity exploitation;
- Apply management skills in a proactive manner;
- Develop alternative strategies for dealing with hospitality marketing or operations issues;
- Demonstrate insight in the analysis of alternatives and selection of the optimum alternative;
- Analyze cases on hotels and restaurants and identify problems and opportunities; demonstrating an understanding of the alternatives that are realistic for the subject business;
- Demonstrate practiced team building skills;
- Demonstrate presentation and communication skills;
- Distinguish between ethical and unethical behaviour.
- Make marketing and operating decisions to maximize profitability in a simulated market place.
|Assignments||20% - 40%|
|Tests||30% - 40%|
|Simulation Exercises||20% - 40%|
|Presentations||20% - 30%|
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Case Package as specified by Instructor
Williams, A.G. Hospitality Cases in Marketing and Operations, Latest ed. Prentice Hall Pearson.
Nykiel, R.A. Hospitality Management Strategies, Latest ed. Prentice Hall Pearson.
Hinkin, Timothy R. Cases in Hospitality Management, A Critical Incident Approach, Latest ed. JW&S, Toronto.
Jones, Thomas J. Professional Management of Housekeeping Operations, Wiley
Or similar text as specified by instructor.