This course examines the strategic use of analytics for digital marketing. The course focuses on measuring and analyzing online analytics and how analytic insights and intelligence can be reported and used to inform marketing strategies. Different types of online data are explored, with emphasis on learning relevant tools and platforms. This course also explores different ways analytics can be communicated, so management can understand digital analytics’ strategic and organizational impact.
- The evolution of digital marketing analytics and web intelligence
- Using digital analytics to understand consumers
- Relevant tools and platforms that collect, track, and/or assess marketing or consumer data
- Application of analytics in campaigns, web/search, digital advertising, social media, mobile, and/or site optimization
- Setting up digital marketing analytics for an organization to align with marketing goals
- Evaluation of online data and insight generation pertaining to key metrics and performance indicators (KPIs), return on investment (ROI), and marketing strategies
- Reporting, communication, and visualization of digital analytics
- Marketing automation as it pertains to digital analytics
- Strategizing with digital marketing analytics
- Industry certification(s) as applicable
Methods of Instruction
The course will involve a blend of lectures, discussions, workshops, online activities, computer applications, group work, and industry-related projects.
Means of Assessment
Midterm Examination 20-25%
Term Project 20-30%
Final Exam 20-30%
STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE ALL COMPONENTS OF THE COURSE AND ACHIEVE A MINIMUM AVERAGE GRADE OF AT LEAST 50 PERCENT ON THEIR TOTAL NON-GROUP EVALUATIONS TO OBTAIN CREDIT FOR THE COURSE.
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- Analyze the use and evaluate the need of digital marketing analytics in marketing strategy
- Choose how to collect, measure, analyze, and interpret marketing analytics and data to enhance strategies and decisions
- Use relevant marketing analytic tools, dashboards, and platforms
- Generate strategic marketing insights and measure success with digital marketing analytics
- Communicate findings in various forms including visualization and reporting
- Construct and execute a digital analytics plan/program for marketing purposes
Courses listed here must be completed either prior to or simultaneously with this course:
Courses listed here are equivalent to this course and cannot be taken for further credit:
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester/year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
Below shows how this course and its credits transfer within the BC transfer system.
A course is considered university-transferable (UT) if it transfers to at least one of the five research universities in British Columbia: University of British Columbia; University of British Columbia-Okanagan; Simon Fraser University; University of Victoria; and the University of Northern British Columbia.
For more information on transfer visit the BC Transfer Guide and BCCAT websites.
If your course prerequisites indicate that you need an assessment, please see our Assessment page for more information.