Douglas College Emergency Funding is available to domestic and international students who can demonstrate an urgent or unexpected financial need. Eligible students will receive a one-time disbursement of funds to help cover their immediate extenuating costs. This fund is not an alternative to governmental funding. All other sources of financial assistance should be exhausted before applying for the Emergency funding.
Please review the available resources below for financial support that may help with income supplementation. Student Success Advisors will consider requests for Emergency funding based on your situation and demonstrated financial need, when other resources have been exhausted.
Government Financial resources available to post-secondary students in Canada:
- BC Student Loans and Canada Student Loans repayments are paused for six months without penalty, starting April.
- Student Aid B.C. - Grants, scholarships and financial supports: https://studentaidbc.ca/explore/grants-scholarships
- Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB): https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/benefits/recovery-benefit.html
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan
- Indigenous Emergency Assistance Fund. Eligible Indigenous students at public post-secondary institutions can apply for non-repayable emergency assistance. Please contact our Indigenous Student Service Centre.
- Here2Talk provides free, confidential mental-health counselling and referral service for post-secondary students by app, phone, or online chat, 24-7
If you are unable to secure funding from other sources, we may be able to assist you. Students facing a demonstrated urgent financial need, may contact our Student Success Advisors. Student Success Advisors will get in touch with you to help you manage your individual situation and explore options for short-term critical financial assistance. The one-time disbursement from our Emergency Fund will help students that are facing an immediate financial need.
Determining your eligibility
Circumstances that we may be able to help with:
Basic immediate needs such as:
- Food security
- Urgent living costs
- Emergency health expenses
- Transit fees if you are not eligible for UPASS
Examples of expenses we cannot help with:
- Outstanding and upcoming tuition and fees to Douglas College
- Financial support for partner and other family members
- Previous debt obligations such as, car payments and credit card bills
- Non-essential expenses such as, gym memberships and extraneous food and beverage costs
Please note documentation supporting your claims will be required for assessment.
How to contact your advisor
Student Success Advisors are available for financial aid advising by email and phone. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment.
We continue to receive a high volume of emails regarding emergency financial assistance. We are doing our best to process requests as quickly as possible, however please note that the response time is approximately 2 weeks.
For up-to-date information about COVID-19, please visit this page.