Enrolment is limited to students in the Veterinary Technology Program.
The major topics in this course include the following:
- Normal behaviour for companion animals.
- Minimizing stress for patients during hospital visits and stays (calming signals, non-confrontational behaviours).
- Body language in communication in both small and large animal species.
- Review puppy and kitten basic training methods.
- Causes, signs and treatment of common behaviour problems in companion animals.
- An overview of behaviour modifying medications and aids.
- Animal welfare including animal neglect and abuse, issues in domestic animal husbandry and cosmetic surgery of companion animals.
- Workplace ethics, scope of practice, euthanasia and methods of resolving ethical problems.
This course includes three hours of classroom instruction and laboratory activity per week.
The instructor will present a written course outline with specific evaluation criteria at the beginning of the semester. A final minimum cumulative grade of “C” or 60% is required (in both lecture and lab components) in order to pass this course. Evaluation will be based on quizzes and assignments, practical evaluations including a final practical examination, at least one midterm and a final written examination.
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Read the body language of companion animals as it pertains to safe handling, case management and client education.
- Discuss influences on the development of behavioural traits in companion animals.
- Describe and implement training techniques to prevent common problem behaviours in companion animals.
- Apply scientifically based principles to the prevention and treatment of behaviour problems in companion animals.
- Implement techniques to treat or manage common behaviour problems in companion animals.
- Discuss animal ethics and welfare.
A list of required and optional textbooks and materials is provided for students at the beginning of each semester.
Successful completion of Year 1 of the Veterinary/Animal Health Technology Program
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|There are no applicable transfer credits for this course.|