This course will look at English as a second language theory, methodology, resources and techniques for teaching and assessing the aural and oral language skills with adult learners in a variety of settings.
- Small group/pair discussion
- Individual/small group projects
- Individual/small group presentations
- Group discussion
- Reading and writing assignments
Courses are graded on the standard graded system that applies in evaluating course work for credit courses. Students are assigned grades according to their level of achievement on a variety of assessments which may include exercises, assignments, presentations, teaching simulations, and tests. A participation grade may be included in the grade.
Participants successfully completing the course will:
- apply the basic theories of second language acquisition to teaching speaking, listening and pronunciation skills
- apply basic methodology and approaches to teaching the oral and aural language skills
- select and develop tasks for teaching ESL listening, speaking and pronunciation for a hypothetical classroom
- assess the usefulness of commercially available resources for teaching ESL listening, speaking and pronunciation in specific teaching contexts
- create materials for teaching ESL listening, speaking and pronunciation
- select appropriate resources for teaching oral and aural language skills to learners in different settings and at various skill levels
- develop quizzes and other means of assessment to measure ESL student progress in listening, speaking and writing
- respond to ESL student speaking and pronunciation in appropriate and constructive ways
Students may be required to purchase textbooks.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||No credit||2012/05/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||No credit||2012/05/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||No credit||2012/05/01 to -|