Sociological Aspects of Sport
- The sociological analyses of sport in society:
- The discipline of Sociology
- Sport as a microcosm of society
- Levels of sport
- The transformation of sport
- The technological revolution and sport
- Industrialization, urbanization and sport
- Social aggregates and cultural influences in the rise of sport
- The Canadian value system
- Societal values and sport
- Youth sports programs
- Socialization and sport
- Sports alternatives for the young athlete
- The status of sport in schools
- The benefits of school sport
- Problems, dilemmas and issues
- The status of intercollegiate sport
- The benefits of intercollegiate sport
- Problems, dilemmas and issues
- Selected issues and problems in sport:
- Parental behaviour
- Sexual harassment, etc.
- Religion and society
- The relationship of religion and sport
- The political uses of sport
- The politics of international sport
- Economic beneficiaries of sport
- Professional and amateur sport as a business
- Social roles of the mass media
- The impact of the mass media on sport
- The impact of sport on the mass media
- social class and sport
- Social mobility and sport
- Minority groups
- Discrimination in sport
- Multiculturalism and sport
- Social sources of sexism in sport
- consequences of sexism for women in sport
- Recent trends in women’s sport
- Trends in population, industry and technology
- A future society and sport
- Trends in the economy
- Guest Speakers
|Presentation & essay||20%|
At the conclusion of this course, students will have knowledge of:
- The sociological analysis of sport in society
- Social and cultural sources of the rise of sport in industrial societies
- Sport and societal values
- Children and sport
- Interscholastic sport
- Intercollegiate sport
- Social issues and problems and sport
- Sport and religion
- Sport and the polity
- Sport and the economy
- Sport and the mass media
- Sport, social stratification and social mobility
- Race and sport
- Women and sport
- Contemporary trends and the future of sport
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Students will be assigned readings from the following textbooks:
- Gruneau, R. and Albinson, J. (1976). Canadian Sport: Sociological Perspectives. Addison Wesley, 1st Edition.
- Hall, A., Slack, T., Smith, G. and Whitson, D. (1991). Sport in Canadian Society. McClelland and Stewart, 1st Edition.
- Eitzen, D. and Sage, G. (1993). Sociology of North American Sport. Brown and Benchmark, 5th Edition.
- Coakley, J. (1990). Sport in Society: Issues and Controversies. Mosby Publishing, 4th Edition.
- Leonard, W. (1988). A Social Perspective of Sport, MacMillan Publishing, 3rd edition.
- Leclair, J. (1992). Winners and Losers: Sport and Physical Activity in the 90’s, Thompson Educational Publishing, 1st Edition.
- Donnelly, P. (1997). Taking Sport Seriously: Social Issues in Canadian Sport, Thompson EducationalPublishing, 1st Edition.
- Robinson, L. (1997). She Shoots She Scores: Canadian Perspectives on Women and Sport, Thompson Educational Publishing, 1st Edition.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for SPSC 2281|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG KINS 2XXX (3)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU SA 2XX (3)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU PHED 2XXX (3)|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU HKIN 2XX (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||No credit|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV KIN 261 (3)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC EPHE 2XX (1.5)|