- Scales: major, minor, modal; two octaves, hands separately.
- Triads and Inversions: major and minor; two octaves, solid and broken, hands separately.
- Dominant Sevenths and Inversions: one octave, solid and broken, hands separately.
- Diminished Sevenths and Inversions: one octave, solid and broken, hands separately.
- Arpeggios: major and minor: root position, two octaves, hands separately.
- Chord Progressions: Expansion of basic formulae incorporating secondary sevenths and secondary dominants as follows:
Instruction will be by lecture, demonstration and supervised practice.
The grade will be calculated on the basis of progress made in the various aspects of the course as follows:
|Regularly scheduled quizzes (minimum of 4)||20%|
*Frequent, short evaluations are designed to give feedback on newly learned material and skills, and will include demonstrations of tasks as outlined in the course content.
As this is a skill-oriented course, regular attendance is required in order to develop fluent keyboard skills. Therefore, 100% attendance is desired. The failure to attend regularly will result in reduction of a final grade as shown below:
- 4 unexcused absences: minus 10%
- 8 unexcused absences: minus 15%
- students who miss 30% or more of scheduled class time will receive a final grade of UN (unofficial withdrawal)
The successful student will be able to demonstrate the fundamentals of keyboard sight reading, accompaniment, transposition, improvisation, keyboard harmony, technique and piano repertoire.
Frackenphol, Arthur. Harmonization at the Piano, 6th Edition Wm. C. Brown Publishers, 1991
A list of recommended textbooks and materials is provided on the Instructor’s Course Outline, which is available to students at the beginning of each semester.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU MUSI 1254 (1)||2018/01/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU MUSI 1XXX (3)||2018/01/01 to -|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU MUSI 1XX (1)||2018/01/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||No credit||2018/01/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||DOUG MUSC 1116 (2) & DOUG MUSC 1216 (1) = UBCV MUSC 141 (2)||2017/09/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||No credit||2018/01/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV GE 1XX (1)||2018/01/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC MUS 1XX (0.5)||2018/01/01 to -|