Methods of instruction will include, but are not limited to the following: small group practice of syntactic and lexical structures, discussion of readings, debates, listening comprehension (CDs, films, video), discussion and correction of written works and oral presentations.
Conversation practice in small groups with a Native Language Assistant.
Systematic in-depth study of:
- Syntactic structures
- Culture through the work Spanish and Latin American writers and filmmakers
Successful students will demonstrate proficiency in Spanish at the intermediate level in:
- Aural comprehension of authentic language situations.
- Reading comprehension of simple written material.
- Speech delivery: supporting opinion, defending a point of view, and making hypothesis.
- Written expression: expository writing.
- Understanding and appreciating differences and similarities in cultures as expressed in the works of Spanish and Latin American writers and filmmakers.
The evaluation system includes continuous testing to assess mastery at each step and a comprehensive final exam to assess proficiency at the end of the course.
Evaluation will be based on this general outline:
|Oral Work (presentation and participation in discussions)||20%|
|Written Work (compositions and chapter tests)||40%|
|Attendance, Participation and Preparation||10%|
|Oral Final Exam (interview on reading material)||10%|
|Written Final Exam||20%|
- Jarvis, Lebredo and Mena-Ayllon. ¡Continuemos! Intermediate Spanish. Houghtlon Mifflin
- Jarvis, Lebredo and Mena-Ayllon. Aventuras Literarias. Houghtlon Mifflin
MODL 2252 or Spanish 12 (B grade) or Assessment