Basic Chinese I (Mandarin)
Systematic introduction of:
- Basic syntactic structures (daily expressions and some idiomatic phrases)
- Basic lexicon (to a minimum of 200 lexical items)
- Basic strokes and components of Chinese characters
- The phonological system of Mandarin (Pinyin or romanized Chinese phonetic transcription, including tones)
- Some aspects of the Chinese culture
The functional and communicative approach is used where appropriate. Classroom activities include:
- presentation of material by the instructor, practice in pairs and small groups, listening comprehension, audiovisual presentations, on-line materials and conversation labs in small groups with a Native Language Assistant.
(May include but not limited to writing and reading exercises, chapter tests, paragraph writing, written homework, preparation, Final Written Exam)
(May include but not limited to oral tests, oral presentations, listening comprehension, conversation lab, attendance, preparation, class participation, Final Oral Exam)
No single evaluation will be worth more than 20%.
The student will be expected to demonstrate proficiency in Mandarin at the basic level in:
- Aural comprehension of simple discourse
- Reading comprehension of simplified texts, in both Pinyin and Chinese letters
- Speech delivery: extend greetings, express needs, ask questions and give replies
- Written expression: simple sentences and short dialogues, in Chinese characters
- Understanding target cultures
- Chinese Link Level 1 Part 1 Intermediate Chinese Wu and Yu Prentice Hall (Pearson Publishing)
- Chinese character book for Chinese Link Level 1 Part 1 Wu and Yu
- My Chinese Lab with Pearson E text
No prerequisite courses.
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for MODL 1191|
|Alexander College (ALEX)||ALEX HUMN 1XX (3)|
|Coquitlam College (COQU)||COQU CHIN 100 (3)|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU MAND 1100 (3)|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG CHIN 1115 (3)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU CHIN 1XX (3)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU MLAN 1XXX (3)|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU CHIN 101 (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO LANG 1st (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV CHIN 131 (3)|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC INTS 161 (3)|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV MAND 101 (3)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||DOUG MODL 1191 (3) & DOUG MODL 1192 (3) = UVIC PAAS 118 (3)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC PAAS 1XX (1.5)|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||VIU CHIN 100 (3)|