Case Studies in Financial Management
- Financing Current Operations:
- Determinants of capital needs: accounts receivable, inventories and seasonal funds requirements.
- Current asset management: ratio analysis, flow of funds and cash budgeting.
- Managing corporate assets: liquid cash management, trade credit policy and strategy, and inventory management.
- Long-Term Financing
- Valuation: methods of valuation including long-term capital structure and cost of capital.
- Dividend policy.
- Debt management and leasing.
- Capital budgeting decisions.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Relevant costs and methods of evaluating investment alternatives.
- Public Offerings
- the use of common and preferred stock as a source of new capital.
- Pricing the new issue.
- Use of derivative instruments: warrants, rights and convertible securities.
Material will be presented within a lecture format.
Minimum of 3 evaluations, none of which will exceed 40%, for a total of 100%.
Students may conduct research as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with College policies on ethical conduct for research involving humans, which can require obtaining Informed Consent from participants and getting the approval of the Douglas College Research Ethics Board prior to conducting the research.
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- recognize and develop viable financial strategies in the context of a complex corporate environment;
- practice and develop competence in financial analysis skills;
- develop practical decision-making skills by integrating the conceptual knowledge and functional techniques with case analyses;
- clearly present and substantiate all case recommendations, recognizing the strengths and weaknesses of each analysis.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
- De Mello, Jim. Cases in Finance, latest ed. McGraw Hill Irwin.
- Shaw, Foerster. Canadian Cases in Financial Management, latest ed. Prentice Hall.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for FINC 3360|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG FMGT 2XXX (3)|