- Case study
- Guest speakers
Overview of career path and vocational planning, including:
- Developing a client/consumer profile
- Understanding the role of a multi-disciplinary team
- Understanding the diverse workplace
- Features of workplace success
Develop a conceptual understanding of the assessments and evaluation tools used in employment supports services:
- Utilizing and understanding various assessments (eg. IEPs, Psycho-educational reports, etc.)
- Explain the process steps in referral, funding and obtaining various assessments
- Examine a variety of vocational diagnostic tools
- Explore ethical considerations of application of assessments
- Explain the challenges and opportunities regarding accessing services
Overview of the features of person-centred planning, including:
- Customized employment
- Job carving
- Job analysis
- Niche employment
- Natural supports
- Teaching and learning workplace strategies
- Essential employability skills
- Understanding the role of diversity in the workplace
- Data gathering tools etc.
- The diverse workplace
Review the elements of on-going supports:
- Understand the function of job maintenance, follow-up and long term supports
- Explain the components of case management
- Explore critical issues in maintaining success on the job including employee evaluation, conflict management, re-training etc.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the essential components of a vocational plan, including developing a customer profile and customizing employment.
- Evaluate vocational/employment assessment and tools.
- Identify features of career exploration strategies.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of effective data gathering teaching and learning work place strategies in the workplace
- Identify features of high quality long-term supports that include job maintenance and long term follow-up.
This course will conform to Douglas College policy regarding the number and weighting of evaluations. Typical means of evaluation would include a combination of:
- Research paper
- Literature reviews
- Case Study/critiques
With permission of instructor