The following global ideas guide the design and delivery of this course:
- Knowledge of theories of change guides practice:
- development of a therapeutic relationship
- psychoanalytic perspective
- Adlerian perspective
- Behavioural and cognitive behavioural perspective
- Rational emotive perspective
- Humanistic and existential perspectives
- Solution-focused perspective
- Knowledge of self has an impact on professional action and clinical practice:
- personal beliefs, values, ethics affect professional actions
- Personality and presentation of self affect clinical practice
- Apply change theories to CYC case management practice (4-7 below)
- systemic, ecological perspective
- identifying needs
- Case planning
- goals and goal statements
- service actions
- Case consultation, presentation and evaluation
- Collaborative consultation
- Trans-disciplinary teams
- The origins of difficult and problem behaviour are better understood by “entering the world of the child”:
- Building rapport
- Person-centred therapeutic perspective
- The development of a personal theory of child and youth care praxis through an integration of:
- knowledge of theories of change theory
- knowledge of self
- current child and youth care counselling practice.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Critically analyze change theories
- Articulate the perspective of each change theory on the helping relationship
- Identify limitations of each change theory
- Determine appropriate applications of various change theories in integrated case management
- Examine their personal theory of child and youth care practice
- Articulate how they intentionally link theoretical perspectives for use in different contexts of CYC case management.
Typical means of evaluation may include a combination of written research assignments, case evaluation, testing, and group presentations. This is a Graded Course.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Thompson, C.L., Rudolph, L.B. and Henderson, D. (6th ed.) (2004). Counselling Children. Pacific Grove: Brooks/Cole.
Allen-Meares, P. and Fraser, M. (2004). Interventions with Children and Adolescents: An Interdisciplinary Perspective. Boston: Pearson.
(or similar texts)
Enrolment in Year 3 of CYC