The following global ideas guide the design and delivery of this course:
- Knowledge of theories of change guides practice:
- development of a therapeutic relationship
- psychoanalytic perspective
- Adlerian perspective
- Behavioural and cognitive behavioural perspective
- Rational emotive perspective
- Humanistic and existential perspectives
- Solution-focused perspective
- Knowledge of self has an impact on professional action and clinical practice:
- personal beliefs, values, ethics affect professional actions
- Personality and presentation of self affect clinical practice
- Apply change theories to CYC case management practice (4-7 below)
- systemic, ecological perspective
- identifying needs
- Case planning
- goals and goal statements
- service actions
- Case consultation, presentation and evaluation
- Collaborative consultation
- Trans-disciplinary teams
- The origins of difficult and problem behaviour are better understood by “entering the world of the child”:
- Building rapport
- Person-centred therapeutic perspective
- The development of a personal theory of child and youth care praxis through an integration of:
- knowledge of theories of change theory
- knowledge of self
- current child and youth care counselling practice.
Typical means of evaluation may include a combination of written research assignments, case evaluation, testing, and group presentations. This is a Graded Course.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Critically analyze change theories
- Articulate the perspective of each change theory on the helping relationship
- Identify limitations of each change theory
- Determine appropriate applications of various change theories in integrated case management
- Examine their personal theory of child and youth care practice
- Articulate how they intentionally link theoretical perspectives for use in different contexts of CYC case management.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Thompson, C.L., Rudolph, L.B. and Henderson, D. (6th ed.) (2004). Counselling Children. Pacific Grove: Brooks/Cole.
Allen-Meares, P. and Fraser, M. (2004). Interventions with Children and Adolescents: An Interdisciplinary Perspective. Boston: Pearson.
(or similar texts)
Enrolment in Year 3 of CYC
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||No credit||2005/09/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||No credit||2005/09/01 to -|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||No credit||2005/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||No credit||2005/09/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||No credit||2005/09/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV CYC 320 (3)||2005/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC CYC 2XX (1.5)||2005/09/01 to -|