Lecture and Lab
During our work together in this course, students will:
- Review the fundamental terms, concepts and theories associated with BSS, computerized decision aids, expert systems, group support systems and executive information systems.
- Examine business cases that support business decisions, and various planning, analysis and control tasks.
- Develop the systems using agile planning, analysis, design and implementation of a computerized BSS.
- Design user interfaces (UI) and create custom dashboards.
- Connect live XML web databases for dynamic analysis.
- Build state-of-the-art BSS using advanced macro and Visual Basic Application (VBA).
- Recognize that most business support systems are designed to support rather than replace decision makers.
- Create documenting and training material to support a customized BSS.
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- Evaluate the differences between a variety of business support systems.
- Analyze a business problem and create a business support system using Excel.
- Apply Visual Basic Application (VBA) coding to create a business support system.
- Utilize power pivot tables to rapidly analyze large data sets.
- Resolve a redundant business procedure using macros.
- Create dynamic connections, implement and update online XML data.
- Design a custom user interface (UI) to simplify rapid input analysis.
- Create a custom user defined function (UDF) to automate an iterative procedure.
- Present a custom designed business support system (BSS) to management.
- Demonstrate the knowledge necessary to write the industry standard MOS Excel certification exam.
|Business Case Assignments||10%-20%|
**In order to pass the course, students must, in addition to receiving an overall course grade of 50%, also achieve a grade of at least 50% on the combined weighted examination components (including quizzes, tests, exams).
- Exploring: Microsoft Excel, Comprehensive
- MyITLab with Pearson eText -- Access Code
- Exploring VBA for Microsoft Office
CSIS 1190 OR currently active in the
PDD Data Analytics
PBD Computer Information System Data Analytics