This course is not active. Please contact Department Chair for more information.
This course has been discontinued. Please contact Department Chair for more information.
The following global ideas guide the design and delivery of this course:
This is a letter graded course
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Explain various disability classification systems as they relate to disability definitions, assessment and diagnosis
- Investigate terminology used in disability classifications systems
- Consider the historical progression of disability classification systems
- Define disability in the Canadian context
- Compare and contrast the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) with other classification and assessment models, e.g. AAIDD, ICD, ICF, DM-ID, RTI
2. Describe characteristics of a variety of mental and physical disability labels
- Examine the etiology, prevalence and incidence of various major disability labels
- Compare and contrast types of disability, i.e. cognitive versus physical; invisible versus visible; acquired versus development; progressives versus intermittent versus stable
- Consider the additional complexities of dual (multiple) diagnosis
- Keep in mind that a disability is what someone has, not what someone is and that knowledge about a disability type is only a single tool in supporting an individual who has a disability
3. Explore the eligibility to funding for typical support and treatment services for several disability labels.
- Describe the assessment process for several exceptionalities, such as ASD, FASD, mental illnesses, intellectual disability
- Describe the funding eligibility and process for several exceptionalities, such as ASD, FASD, mental illness and intellectual disability.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU SEA 105 (3)||2016/09/01 to 2020/12/31|
|College of New Caledonia (CNC)||CNC CASS 120 (3)||2016/09/01 to 2020/12/31|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||No credit||2008/09/01 to 2016/08/31|
|Selkirk College (SELK)||SELK CCSW 155 (3)||2016/09/01 to 2020/12/31|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||No credit||2008/09/01 to 2020/12/31|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU EDCS 1640 (3)||2017/09/01 to 2020/12/31|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||No credit||2009/09/01 to 2020/12/31|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||No credit||2008/09/01 to 2020/12/31|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||No credit||2008/09/01 to 2020/12/31|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||No credit||2008/09/01 to 2017/08/31|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV HSER 192 (3)||2017/09/01 to 2020/12/31|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||No credit||2008/09/01 to 2020/12/31|
|Yukon University (YUKO)||DOUG CCSD 1170 (1.5) & DOUG CCSD 1270 (1.5) = YUKO ELCC 222 (3)||2016/09/01 to 2020/12/31|
|Yukon University (YUKO)||DOUG CCSD 1170 (1.5) & DOUG CCSD 1270 (1.5) = YUKO ELCC 222 (3)||2016/09/01 to -|