1. Introduction to not-for-profit organizations
2. Governance and oversight
3. Financial statements concepts
4. Fund accounting
5. Deferral method, restricted funds and endowments
6. Registered charities
7. Not-for-profit and public sector accounting
In-class and/or on-line lectures and group discissions.
|Quizzes and/or Assignments and/or Project||30%|
Students must write both the midterm examination and the final examiniation to obtain credit for the course.
To pass this course, students must obtain a minimum of 50% on invigilated assessments, with the 50% calculated on a weighted average basis.
Invigilated assessments include, in-class quizzes, in-class tests, midterm exam and the final exam.
1. Explain the basic process of setting up a not-for-proft organization and obtaining the appropriate governmental approval.
2. Describe the basics of charitable and not-for-profit governance.
3. Analyze the major financial reporting issues in not-for-profit organizations.
4. Explain the basics of accounting for and reporting contributions under the restricted fund and deferred contribution methods.
5. Demonstrate understanding of the purposes and accounting for endowments.
6. Analyze the approaches to measuring and valuing outputs.
7. Compare and contrast the performance measurements of for-profit organizations to not-for-profit organizations.
8. Describe the objectives of public sector financial statements.
9. Use the CPA Canada Handbook applicable to the public sector.
Textbook(s) and/or materials as approved by the department.
ACCT 2320 with a grade of "C" or better
(ACCT 1222 with a grade of "C" or better OR currently active in the PDD Accounting, PDD Accounting Studies or PBD Accounting program.)
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
This course is not required for any other course.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Athabasca University (AU)||AU ACCT 3XX (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|Camosun College (CAMO)||CAMO ACCT 3XX (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|College of the Rockies (COTR)||COTR ACCT 3XX (3)||2018/05/01 to -|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU ACCT 4XXX (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU BUS 2XX (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU ACCT 4XXX (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|University Canada West (UCW)||UCW ACCT 4XX (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC COMM 2XX (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC COM 2XX (1.5)||2018/09/01 to -|