Audio Techniques II
- Recording techniques
- Microphone techniques
- Mixing techniques
- Dubbing techniques
- Editing techniques
- Using pre-recorded and live effects
- Digital on DAT, Mini-Disc, Triple Dat Software
- Portable DAT as a field recorder
- Equipment list and Stage Plot for musical and theatrical reinforcement
- Microphone choice and placement for acoustic and amplified sources
- Monitor and FOH speaker placement
- Mixer layout and use for Monitor and FOH control
- Effects equipment (reverb, echo, delay)
- Sound check techniques
Students will receive 1 to 1 ½ hours of lecture/demonstration followed by 2 ½ to 3 hours of laboratory per week.
|Recording Assignment x 2||20%|
|Sound Design Meetings x 2||20%|
|Sound Design Practicum (equipment set-up, show tapes, Q sheets, Levels session)||30%|
Upon completion of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- Learn and demonstrate safe working procedures when using equipment, tools and materials common to sound in the theatre.
- Understand multi-track recording using digital software and digital audio tape, and mini-disc players.
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the sound designer.
- Understand the basic system set-up for sound reinforcement and mixing.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
A list of recommended textbooks and materials is provided on the Instructor’s Course Outline, which is available to students at the beginning of each semester.
Example: Gillette, Michael. Theatrical Design and Production. 3rd ed. Toronto: Mayfield Publishing, 1997
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
These are for current course guidelines only. For a full list of archived courses please see https://www.bctransferguide.ca
|Institution||Transfer Details for STGE 2411|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU MUSI 2XXX (3)|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU CA 1XX (2)|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU THTR 2XXX (3)|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU THTR 2XX (3)|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV THTR 2nd (2)|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||No credit|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV THEA 1XX (2)|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||No credit|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||VIU THEA 2nd (3)|