Faculty supervised independent research, with supervision provided weekly throughout the semester.
A specific topic area will be agreed upon by the supervisor and student. The student and, if necessary, the supervisor will identify a list of readings for the literature review. The content and design of the research project must be approved by the supervisor and the Research Ethics Board (if necessary).
- To complete the research project proposed in PSYC 4400.
- To collect data on a topic using appropriate methodology.
- To analyze the data using appropriate statistical methods.
- To interpret the results in light of the literature review conducted in PSYC 4400.
- To write a publishable-quality APA style research paper describing the study, methods and results.
- To orally present results at a research conference and/or to their thesis supervisor.
Evaluation will be carried out in accordance with Douglas College policy. Evaluation will be based on course objectives. The supervisor will provide the student with clear outcomes depending on the nature of the project.
The following is an example of a possible evaluation scheme:
Draft Methods Section 20%
Research Presentation 40%
Research Paper 40%
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
To be determined by the topic and thesis supervisor.
Admission to the Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology Honours Program or Department permission.