Module 1 - Operating System Interface
- Perform the four basic mouse operations and utilize keyboard shortcuts.
- Obtain online Help while using an application.
- Understand and use directory structures and paths in file management.
- Use a file manager to: identify directory structures and paths; select, copy and move one file or group of files or folders; create, rename and delete a file or folder.
Module 2 - Word Processing
- Create, save, preview, print, close, open, and edit a document.
- Proofread and correct all types of documents with the spelling and grammar checker, and thesaurus.
- Enhance documents with character, paragraph and global formatting features.
- Adjust margins and line spacing.
- Create headers and/or footers.
- Use and modify styles.
- Adjust page breaks and section breaks.
- Insert special symbols, bullets, and enumerations.
- Create custom tab settings.
- Create citations, and footnotes and/or endnotes.
- Create documents with the aid of wizards and templates.
- Create and use both autocorrect and autotext features.
- Insert, complete and format a table.
- Address and print preview envelopes and mailing labels.
- Use graphic features like colouring, shading, wordart, smartart, and page borders to enhance a document.
- Import, edit and format clip art and pictures, including setting text wrap options.
- Generate form letters and mailing labels.
- Design a newsletter utilizing columns and graphic elements.
Module 3 - Spreadsheet
- Create a simple report with an embedded chart.
- Create financial reports that facilitate both "what-if" analysis.
- Use SUM, AVERAGE, MAX, MIN and IF functions.
- Construct basic formulae (including a review of the order of operations).
- Use relative, absolute and 3-D referencing in building formulas.
- Create a variety of chart sheets.
Module 4 - Email
- Compose, send, receive, forward and respond to email messages.
- Create, organize, store and print contact lists.
- Create meetings and appointments in online calendars.
- Display, print and work with calendars in assorted views.
A combination of lecture, demonstration, guided practice, web-based training, and self-paced lab assignment and simulation projects may be used. Active learning is an integral part of this course, and major emphasis will be placed on a "hands-on" environment to allow students to work both independently and collaboratively to learn and apply computer application skills and techniques.
|MS Word Test(s)||30-50%|
|MS Excel Test(s)||20-25%|
|MS Outlook Test(s)||5-15%|
Note: No single test can be worth more than 40%.
Students may conduct research as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with College policies on ethical conduct for research involving humans, which can require obtaining Informed Consent from participants and getting the approval of the Douglas College Research Ethics Board prior to conducting the research.
The learner has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Use the operating system interface to perform basic software functions and to organize and manage directories and files effectively;
- Use email software to manage email communications, handle contacts, and schedule appointments and meetings;
- Use word processing software to produce a variety of business documents meeting industry standards for timely completion, correctness of content and format, and professional appearance;
- Use spreadsheet software capable of answering "what-if" questions to solve business problems;
- Use the computer as a decision-making and problem-solving tool;
- Produce business documents requiring the integration of word processing, spreadsheet, and email software.
Lambert, Joan and Curtis Fry. Microsoft Office 2019 Step by Step, Latest Ed., Pearson: Microsoft Press
Or other textbooks and/or online tools as approved by the department.
No prerequisite courses.
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|There are no applicable transfer credits for this course.|