1) Resources and Vocabulary of Jazz
- Notation conventions
- Scales and Modes
- Basic Chord Types
- Sevenths, 9ths, 11ths, 13ths, Other
- Standard Jazz Chord Symbols
- Roman Numeral Chord Notation
2)The Structure of Jazz
- Rhythmic and Textural Structure
- Jazz Rhythmic Interpretation
- Phrasing and Melodic Structure
- 32-Bar Forms
- Song Forms in Jazz
3)Standard Chord Progressions: Blues, “Rhythm Changes”, etc.
- Traditional Blues
- A Jazz Approach to Blues
- “Rhythm” Changes, etc.
4)Functional Harmony in Jazz
- Theory of Chord Progressions
- Root Motion
- Circle of Fifths Root Motion
- Strong/Weak Alternation of Chords
- Tensions and Chord Function
- Non-Tonic Beginnings
- Tritone Substitution
- Line Clichés
- Diminished- and Half-Diminished Seventh Chords
- Borrowed Chords (Modal Interchange)
- Secondary Functions
- Tonicization and Modulation
- Miscellaneous Harmonic Techniques
5)Listening to a broad range of representative repertoire
Lecture and practical demonstrations.
Listening Tests (minimum of 2) 10%
Quizzes (minimum of 2) 10%
Assignments (minimum of 6) 30%
Midterm exam 20%
Final exam 20%
Class Work 10%
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- Perform a harmonic and formal analysis of a jazz standard.
- Compose a contrafact.
- Harmonize and/or re-harmonize a melody using the essential harmonic vocabulary and syntax of jazz.
- Compose original works in a variety of forms.
- Provide written answers to questions on any aspect of the course content.
- Aurally identify a variety of styles and techniques common in the standard repertoire.
The instructor may assign the most recent edition of a textbook such as:
Mulholland, J. and Hojnacki, T. The Berklee Book of Jazz Harmony,
Berklee Press, Boston.
Levine, Mark. The Jazz Theory Book, Sher Music Co.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Athabasca University (AU)||No credit||2015/01/01 to -|
|College of the Rockies (COTR)||COTR MUSI 1XX (3)||2015/05/01 to 2019/08/31|
|College of the Rockies (COTR)||No credit||2019/09/01 to -|
|Columbia College (COLU)||No credit||2015/01/01 to -|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU MUSI 3550 (3)||2015/01/01 to -|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG GNST 1XXX (2)||2015/01/01 to -|
|Northern Lights College (NLC)||No credit||2015/01/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU CA 1XX (2)||2015/01/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||No credit||2015/01/01 to -|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU MUSI 1XX (3)||2015/01/01 to -|
|University Canada West (UCW)||No credit||2015/01/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||No credit||2015/01/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||No credit||2015/01/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV MUSC 101 (2)||2015/01/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC MUS 1XX (1)||2015/01/01 to -|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||Individual Audition Required||2015/01/01 to -|