The student will receive one hour per week of private instruction for 12 weeks and will be expected to practise adequately as specified by the instructor.
These represent minimum requirements. If the student is more advanced, repertoire, technique and sight reading should be adjusted to the appropriate level.
- Pentachord exercises.
- Lateral movements with the thumb; scales and arpeggios.
- Double note exercises and triads; triads and inversions; dominant seventh and diminished seventh chords.
- Pedal techniques; accent and legato pedalling.
- Contrapuntal pieces.
- Melodies with accompaniments.
- Elementary sonatina.
- 20th-century idioms.
- Practice Methods
- Analysis of components of pieces.
- Division of practice time.
- Sight Reading
- Tonal and non-tonal melodies.
- Simple two-part pieces.
- Melodies with chordal accompaniment.
- Isolated intervals and triads.
- Rhythmic patterns.
- Introduction to Popular/Jazz Music Chording and Improvisation – at the discretion of the instructor.
- Performance and Attendance at Recitals and Masterclasses
- Students are required to perform in at least one student recital and/or masterclass, at the discretion of the instructor.
- Students are required to attend all Arts at One concerts and all masterclasses specified by the instructor.
The successful student will be able to interpret and perform keyboard repertoire of an appropriate level, technical requirements and sight reading as outlined in the Course Content.
100% of the total mark will be allotted by the instructor on the basis of weekly achievement in the various aspects of the course. This will be recorded by the instructor at the conclusion of each lesson. Factors to be considered are progress, punctuality and attendance, musicianship and completion of the minimum requirements.
Up to 10% of the total mark will be deducted for unfulfilled participation in recitals and masterclasses. The following explains the grading calculation:
- 5% is deducted for failure to perform, at the discretion of the instructor
- 1% is deducted for each absence from the Arts at One concert series
- If a student has not attended the required number of masterclasses, 1% is deducted for each absence.
- 1% is added for each additional performance and/or accompaniment above the minimum. This addition will only offset marks that have been deducted.
Study material will be selected by the instructor.
Acceptance into Basic Musicianship Program
Full Basic Musicianship Program